Unit for Gate Strike

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by shanede, Jan 14, 2021.

1. shanede

shanede

Hi all,

I currently have an intercom system which has a doorbell and I can activate the door strike from it. The camera is pretty rubbish so I was looking at some of the newer wireless units available. The issue with hem is you cannot control a gate strike with them. The gate strike is 24V. I was thinking I could control this form CBus instead. Before I get my sparky in I wanted to see what might be required.

I have some spare channels on existing relays, being voltage free is it as simple as getting the 24V wired through that and then setting a button up as a bell l press? Or is it better to completely isolate the 24V from the 240V and have something else?

What the best way to solve this. I also have a Nice gate opener has anyone intergrated this with CBus aswell for open and close?

shanede, Jan 14, 2021
  2. shanede

chromus

ELV 8Ch relay is the correct unit to use.

Mixing ELV and mains voltages is frowned on.

I use 2, 1 for retic control and the other for access control, gate/door strikes and garage door trigger.

chromus, Jan 14, 2021
  3. shanede

shanede

Thanks Chromus,

So being Low Voltage I would not need a electrician to do the wiring?

Also I have a unused 8 channel relay, if I used that as purely all channels for LV outside of the cabinet would it still be an issue given that it is powered by 240V?

I have found the wiring diagram for the nice motor and it does seem to support remote triggering so it looks like Cbus could do it. Id just need 2 channels for it, one for the gate strike and I guess I could use the rest for gardening lights.

Thanks

shanede, Jan 14, 2021
  4. shanede

chromus

In principle if you have a unit that doesn't need 240v power, no reason why it physically won't work, but bear in mind that if you sell the property there are risks associated with non-standard usages. For instance don't do it if the relay is also a CBUS power supply.

ELV work doesn't need a license but it may pay to consult a local licensed professional to see if there are any quirks where you are to do with compliance and marking the unit to ensure some future user doesnt try and add 240v to it.

chromus, Jan 16, 2021
  5. shanede

shanede

Ok thanks for the advice. Sounds to much like a headache to use the spare and for around $400 I can get an elv unit.

shanede, Jan 16, 2021
  6. shanede

znelbok

Or if you have a SHAC get a sonoff relay (or similar - Is Arlec Grid Connect doing a relay box?- that will take Tasmota as well) , flash to Tasmota (or other) and start using MQTT. Will cost about $10 instead of $400 (I know there are more channels on the C-bus unit).

znelbok, Jan 18, 2021
  7. shanede

chromus

Unless they have drastically lifted their game Sonoff doesn't meet Au compliance -> avoid like the plague.

chromus, Jan 21, 2021
Ask a Question