Unable to get toolkit to get or download project

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by UK Household Automation, Apr 20, 2011.

1. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

Non the Wiser!

I am trying to get toolkit to 'talk' to the CBUS network via wiser -

Have followed all instructions and its a simple set up with default IP etc. Have managed to download PICED project and have iphone app uploaded. YES I HAVE CLOSED PICED when using toolkit.

In the find C-BUs networks screen the Wiser 192.168.2.1:10001 and the CNI 192.168.2.2:10001 are both present - when i 'get projects' the project name appears in red as Failed identity and the CNI has 'CNI not accessible under project name. Similar when trying to connect from project.

Connected wireless to laptop using Vista (well you never know!)

ALSO ive just noticed with the iphone app open if i try to open network the app comes up with "CBUS connection in transparent mode" and goes away when the PC stops trying to connect?

Any thoughts...

UK Household Automation, Apr 20, 2011
  2. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

If you've got the Wiser with a project using the 192.168.2.2 CNI, then it is correct that the CNI is not accessible since the Wiser is talking to that CNI at that point so nothing else can connect to that CNI. You should be able to use toolkit to talk to the Wiser's CNI port (192.168.2.1:10001 in above). When you do this, the Wiser will go into transparent mode, and that will be reflected in apps like the iPhone app/Adobe Flash app. Once you've finished, you'll want to make sure you've closed toolkit so that the Wiser can go back into normal mode. It will take about 30s for that.

kjayakumar, Apr 21, 2011
  3. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

Correct this is what i have been doing the port is set.

Just tied again - I still cannot connect? Toolkit comes up with "error 22918" "PCI failed to reset Unable to open the network"

UK Household Automation, Apr 21, 2011
  4. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

mode RT / AP

There is a button on the wiser next to the reset marked mode RT AP can someone explain - i cannot see it in set up instructions!

5. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

Wiser factory reset

Can someone explain - Ive tried every combination of pressing reset and powering on /off and although the DIAG led flashes red the unit still contains the file i have uploaded from PICED.

6. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

Help!

cannot get to talk to anybody in UK they are all on training courses sorry to be pushy but any chance of response to above three Wiser questions?

Thanks

7. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

I couldn't follow what your 3 questions are. The first thing I do when I get confused is to be structured about debugging. I would write down all the known details like which IP the Wiser is at, which IP the CNI is at, which port I am using for the CNI, whether these are all matching up with the values in my PICED project, and then whether this is the PICED project that I've uploaded. If you search the forum, you'll find a checklist that I wrote up to help check that all of your setup is correct. I hope that's useful.

kjayakumar, Apr 22, 2011
  8. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

As far as I know, the RT/AP switch doesn't do anything.

kjayakumar, Apr 22, 2011
  9. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

The diag LED flashing red briefly is okay, it is when it stays red that is a problem. Are you still able to access your Wiser, eg: go to its web page http://192.168.2.1/index_i.htm Also, I should ask, why are you pressing reset and powering on/off? It sounds like you already have the Wiser at its default IP of 192.168.2.1 so resetting it back to factory default isn't going to change anything else.

kjayakumar, Apr 22, 2011
  10. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

Might be a silly question, when you go to your CNI's webpage, what does it say? Mine says:
    Network status: Client connected since > 24 hours ago
    Network voltage: 28.7V, measured > 24 hours ago
    IP Address: 192.168.2.2

Turn off the Wiser, reboot the CNI and if you see it still say client connected, then that means something on your network is connecting to the CNI and blocking the Wiser from connecting to the CNI.

kjayakumar, Apr 22, 2011
  11. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

CNI page says similar to yours.

I have also found that the laptop i am using has both firefox and explorer8 - I cannot open 192.168.2.1 in explorer - i get the login in page after which it comes up with wiser page and authenticating socket but never gets any further.

Also the CBUS test rig has another CNI on it (connected to another 192.168.1.1 network) I have disconneted this from any network but it is still part of the bus!

UK Household Automation, Apr 26, 2011
  12. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

none the wiser

Nope i'm really struggling with this - I think i have tried every combination i can sensibly think of. I quite simply cannot get toolkit to transfer a project via wiser.

here is the very simple set up

CBUS network
    4 ch dimmer + neo + bus coupler (it did have a seperate CNI but have removed that) ( I could upload download via the CNI that has been removed) ( in fact I changed the addredd of the Wiser CNI from 255 to 254 .....just in case......) + Wiser CNI

Wiser
    All set at default - I have taken a look at the IP configurations via some third party software and both the wiser 192.168.2.1 and the CNI 192.168.2.2 both ping - I note in doing this exercise that the wiser comes from SparkLan a Korean set up! Have downloaded their literature but nothing of use in there.

Laptop
    running Vista DHCP 192.168.2.100 (presumably allocated from wiser as the setting start at 100) ( i did note that i can only open 192.168.2.1 in firefox and not in explorer - in explorer it simply says 'authenticating socket' and goes no further.

Thats the physical set up it could not be simpler.

From the laptop i can access 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 and any setting etc

I am able to open a project in PICED and upload it. (this is confirmed by the wiser screen and the iphone app screen formats changing as different widgets are added).

I have the toolkit project on file on same PC

I make a point of closing all applicatons when opening others.

In toolkit if i scan the network it recognises the 192.168.2.1 wiser unit and also the 192.168.2.2 CNI (the CNI is in grey and says not connected)

Now out of ideas......

13. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

Further

In a desperate attempt to make sure its not me - Ive reset and re-booted everything.

I have now noticed that then the browser 192.168.2.1 is opened and I try and connect toolkit at the same time the browser actually goes into transparent mode.

I recon the CNI is faulty.. Ill call UK office in morning and get a replacement!

14. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

Yes, the Wiser UI will reflect that the Wiser has gone into transparent mode when you connect toolkit to the Wiser's IP address. That part is correct. I'm not sure why you say the CNI is faulty, as that is correct behavior. When you use toolkit to connect to Wiser, you are telling Wiser that you want it to behave like a CNI (internally, the Wiser passes the toolkit commands on to the CNI that the Wiser is connected to). I think what you should do is paste the output that you see on the CNI's web page. This will tell you what rev firmware, what its C-Bus status is.

kjayakumar, Apr 27, 2011
  15. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

the CNI on my 'problem wiser' reads as follows:

Description: CNI Mk 2
    Project: UNKNOWN
    Part name: NEWUNIT
    C-Bus status: Not responding since 6 hours ago
    from the browser 192.168.2.2

Network voltage: Unknown
    IP Address: 192.168.2.2
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    TCP Port: 10001
    Unit Address: 255
    MAC Address: 00:17DD:01:04:02
    Serial Number: 010485754095
    C-Bus Firmware: 0.0.00
    Ethernet Firmware: 1.0.0
    Hardware variant: Inline

Not sure how the serial no of spinkters post and my CNI can both have the same serial number!!!!!!

Both Sphinkter and myself think that there is something wrong with CNI..... its going back cannot afford to spend more time on this as i will go bankrupt!

UK Household Automation, Apr 27, 2011
  16. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

Explorer vs Firefox

In an earlier post I mentioned that i could NOT get wiser to respond to explorer the page appears and passwords are entered then it says 'authenticating socket' bot never gets any further - I left it over night!

Come out of explorer and go into firefox and all is OK.

Can someone look into thiis please..

Running Vista on laptop

UK Household Automation, Apr 27, 2011
  17. UK Household Automation

kjayakumar

Above is a serious problem. I see no reason why C-Bus firmware should read 0. This issue doesn't have anything to do with Wiser. You had written "CNI page says similar to yours." which I can't understand since mine says:

Network status: Client connected since > 24 hours ago
    Network voltage: 30.3V, measured > 24 hours ago
    C-Bus Firmware: 5.2.3

If you have another CNI or access to one, have you tried it to see what it states?

kjayakumar, Apr 27, 2011
  18. UK Household Automation

NickD Moderator

This is certainly not what it should be. The serial number is the same because this is the value that shows up when the ethernet side of the CNI is unable to communicate with the C-Bus side.

This could be due to hardware fault, a factory setup error, or a user error (like it not being connected to C-Bus).

Can you scan the problem CNI from Toolkit via C-Bus (obviously using another PCI or CNI) and tell us the firmware version and serial number that is reported there?

Nick

NickD, Apr 28, 2011
  19. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

CNI F.........d

I have returned the CNI to the supplier IT WAS FAULTY.

New one works fine.

UK Household Automation, May 6, 2011
  20. UK Household Automation

Robbo_VIC

Once you have setup the Wiser you need to create at least 1 Widget in PICED to appear on the Wiser GUI. After that, you'll be able to access it through 192.168.2.1 again

Robbo_VIC, May 9, 2011
Ask a Question