Unable to get PICED to operate

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by fredb, Sep 7, 2005.

1. fredb

fredb

Help...Have loaded PICED V3.1.0 on PC, Widows XP Pro, V5.1,SP2. Software will not start up and run. Windows dialogue box appears stating PICED.EXE has encountered a problem & asks if I wish to send an error report. On selecting "dont send" , dialogue box closes, PICED does not start and screen boots back to desktop. Installer has loaded PICED V3.1.7 but the same problem exists.
    I have loaded the same software on my HP laptop, with similar Windows software and it starts up OK.
    I wish to have this software operational on my PC.
    I have CBus2, Homeminder and CTouch currently loaded on both these computers, but in a separate folder.
    I would be grateful for any advice.
    Regards.

fredb, Sep 7, 2005
  2. fredb

Darren Senior Member

To use PICED V3.1 you need to have installed the latest (V1.1.7) C-Bus ToolKit.

PICED V3.1.7 is an unreleased (Beta) version which you shouldn't need to use unless you have a very specific reason to do so.

What exactly does the error message say ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
    Darren, Sep 7, 2005
  3. fredb

Richo

Hi,

I'm quite surprised you have version 3.1.7 as this is a BETA version released to our System Integrators and covered under a strict NDA. This version is likely to be incompatiable with other software you have installed so I would recommend that you contact the installer and have the BETA software removed and correct released software re-installed.

It is a policy of CIS that BETA software not be used on site. BETA software is for test and verification purposes only in a controlled environment. Use of BETA software may result in warranty and support being voided.

Richo, Sep 7, 2005
  4. fredb

fredb

Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt replies.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I have (had) loaded Toolkit V1.1.7 and it seems to work fine on both my PC and Laptop.
    I apologise if I am not supposed to have PICED V 3.1.7 loaded. The systems Integrator/installer loaded it over my V3.1.0 in an effort to track down why PICED 3.1.0 was not working. We left it on the computer at this early stage (in an uninstalled zip file) while we attempted to find the problem. We re-installed V3.1.0 - still with no luck. Then again installed V3.1.7, and again nothing works. We left things "as-is" until I get some replies to my original question (hoping that may help us).
    I will uninstall and remove V3.1.7 immediately.
    Regarding the error message:
    The error message simply says:"PICED.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem etc..." The error report they want me to send is a huge amount of computer data (which does not make much sense to me). I have elected to not send this data to Microsoft. By closing down the error dialogue box it deletes the error file.
    I have again installed V3.1.0 and still cannot get it to work. I will look further to see what I can find.
    I hope this follow up is helpful.
    Best regards, Fred.

fredb, Sep 7, 2005
  5. fredb

Richo

Hi Fred, yes that helps. Unfortunately this indicates that the error occurs before our internal defect reporting system is active, which is why Microsoft are trapping the error. This could be a tricky one to diagnose as these sort of errors are normally caused by other configuration aspects of the PC, for example driver issues. (I have had poor qualility media codec cause simple problems in out Tica product). Not to say it's not our problem, it's possible theres something different about your PC configuration that we have not encountered or allowed for.

If it's not too much trouble could you do a test for me.

Download the software http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends21_x86.zip from this website http://www.dependencywalker.com

It is a simple "debugger" that may capture useful information about what is happening during loading of PICED.

A) Extract the files form the zip and run the application "depends.exe".

B) Select File|Open from the menu and browse to and select the Piced executable file. C:\CLIPSAL\PICED\PICED.exe

C) Select the menu options Profile|Start profiling

D) Check all the checkboxes on the dialog, EXCEPT "Automatically open and profile child processes"

E) press OK.

Now the program will try and run Piced. I suppose after 30 seconds or so the log window will eventually show "Exited "C:\CLIPSAL\PICED\PICED.exe"" with some other info.

Once this happens do the following:

A) Select File|Save As ... browse to a folder on you computer that you can find again, enter enter the name Piced.dwi and press save.

B) Email me the Piced.dwi you just saved. I will directly email you so you have my address to send it to.

Richo, Sep 7, 2005
  6. fredb

Richo

Interestingly I was using a differentone of our products with an incompatiable version of C-gate today and had the same symptons. This was a released version of Tica against the beta of c-gate it wasn't designed for. It may be possible that you have the wrong c-gate installed.

Could you follow the instruction I outlined in this post http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7128#post7128 and reply here with the results.

Richo, Sep 8, 2005
Ask a Question