Unable to find cable!

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by GeorgeKosmas, Aug 12, 2005.

1. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Hey,
    I am having a problem with a IR transmitter. Whenever i try to connect to it i am getting the error "Unable to find cable! Cannot establish connunications via COM1". :confused:

I have checked if the cable is the wrong way around at the IR Transmitter end and i have tried having C-Gate Running, but i still have no luck. :mad:

I only have one COM port so i know thats not the problem. And also i am not using a USB to COM port converter.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

GeorgeKosmas, Aug 12, 2005
  2. GeorgeKosmas

Nathan

Try turning the adaptor lead where it plugs into the IR unit around the other way or 180 deg and try a comms check.

Nathan, Aug 12, 2005
  3. GeorgeKosmas

Richo

Has that com port successfully communicated to a Nirt in the past?

The Nirt download cable is very picky about what com ports it will work with. I having no specific suggestions on what to try. Perhaps a phone call to Tech Support so they can work through some suggestions on the phone is the best way to resolve this.

Richo, Aug 12, 2005
  4. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

No, it has not communicated with anything before.

I will call Tech Support to try and fix the problem.

Thanx
    George Kosmas

GeorgeKosmas, Aug 12, 2005
  5. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Problem fixed, but not happy about the way that it was fixed.....

The only way to fix this problem was to connect a desktop computer with the IR transmitter. So if you are out on a job site trying to program you will have to bring an entire desktop computer with you.

GeorgeKosmas, Aug 28, 2005
  6. GeorgeKosmas

Richo

My laptops inbuilt COM port won't talk to the Nirt unit. But I use a comport PCMCIA card which works a treat. Tech Support can give you the details of the model they recommend (Can't remeber the name and I left it at work).

Richo, Aug 28, 2005
  7. GeorgeKosmas

Richo

Richo, Aug 29, 2005
  8. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Do the PCMCIA cards work on all cbus products (e.g. B&W c-touch with firmware upgrade, IR transmitter, etc.) or do they have problems like the USB to serial converters??

I was going to buy a PCMCIA to serial converter but i did not know if it would work. What price am i looking at if i was to get the same one that you did Richo??

GeorgeKosmas, Aug 29, 2005
  9. GeorgeKosmas

Richo

The PCMCIA convertor doesn't work with C-Gate :( so most of our other software isn't supported. However, these should work fine with the inbuilt com port of the laptop.

I'm not sure of the price and where to get the cards from as I stole this one from the Tech Support department. :D

Richo, Aug 29, 2005
  10. GeorgeKosmas

Nobes

You can get them from http://www.ieci.com.au/ (Interworld Electronics).

Cant remember how much they were sorry. :eek:

It is a hassle when you have a laptop without a com port, you need the Dontronics convertor and the PCMCIA card.

Nobes, Aug 29, 2005
  11. GeorgeKosmas

Richo

It is a pain and there is no other *short* term solution.

Richo, Aug 29, 2005
  12. GeorgeKosmas

Nick Mullins

PCMCIA Card Not a Problem

Gday Guys,
    I Started with a pcmcia card because my laptop has no virtual coms,and bought a Don tronics USB adaptor for use with Toolkit and now just use the card for NIRT work.Its No big hassel if anyting its just another tool that you need to do your work.Its no different from having different screw drivers in your tool bag.I Think from memory the card and the usb converter wernt anymore than 50 or 60 each .If you use two serial leads and leave them attached to the converter and the card you are less likely to leave one attachment on a job layong around because you didnt see it and forgot about it.

thats only My two bobs worth though everyones different :)

Nick Mullins, Aug 29, 2005
Ask a Question