Unable to connect to Wiser

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Ashley, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley

If I try and change my Wiser default address from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.1.95 to fit in with my existing network (i.e. connection option B), I can no longer connect to the Wiser GUI. I can bring up the router setup fine by entering 192.168.1.95/SetupDHCP.htm, but if I attempt to call up the GUI I get the Wiser splash screen with the message Authenticating Sockets, then an Error Unable to connect to Wiser. If I then set the IP address back to the default, the error remains, but if I do a hardware reset it bursts back into life again. The fault occurs whether I hook the wiser into my current network, or connect it directly to an isolated laptop. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ashley

Ashley, Jul 3, 2009
  2. Ashley

kjayakumar

I find in my usage of Wiser, that I benefit when I write down the configuration parameters for all the things that are involved. This helps me make sure that I've got everything configured correctly. I would recommend this as a standard practice for anyone trying to get a Wiser setup up and running. For example, I have 2 Wiser setups that I use. One is a Wiser running in a home using PPPOE on an ADSL modem line. Another is a Wiser running as a LAN device on a static IP within an office network with a SDSL router. Here are my settings:

a) ADSL setup for a home
    Mode
    Router parameters:
    External connection method: PPPOE
    Local IP address: 192.168.2.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP enabled
    DHCP range 192.168.2.100 - 150
    DDNS:
    username: myusername
    password: mypassword
    hostname: myhostname.dyndns.org

PICED-Wiser Project Parameters:
    Wiser IP: 192.168.2.1
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.2.2
    Wiser CNI Port: 10001
    Use NTP
    Enable Toolkit: No
    Enable Projector: Yes
    Enable Project Update: No

With this configuration, I can then access and control this home Wiser from inside that network and also internet connected networks. When I want to allow external toolkit or project upload, then I use the web UI to enable that and then disable after that task is completed.

b) Office setup
    Settings on a 3rd party Router/Firewall at 192.168.100.1:
    port forward external IP:TCP ports 8080,8888,8889,8336,8337,10001 to Wiser IP (192.168.100.100). Note that external port 8080 is forwarded to Wiser IP port 80 because we are using it in LAN mode.

Wiser Router parameters (setup as a LAN device):
    External connection method: DHCP (nothing plugged into Wiser's WAN/Internet port)
    Local IP address: 192.168.100.100
    DHCP disabled (so that it does not conflict with my office router's DHCP settings)
    DDNS: (will not work in this mode so must use the 3rd party router)

PICED-Wiser Project Parameters:
    Wiser IP: 192.168.100.100
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.100.101
    Wiser CNI Port: 10001
    Use NTP
    Enable Toolkit: No
    Enable Projector: Yes
    Enable Project Update: No
    Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports <- this makes it a LAN device
    Gateway: 192.168.100.1
    DNS: 192.168.100.1

With this configuration, I can then access and control this office Wiser the same way I can for the home Wiser.

In my experience, writing all of these things down (since there are a lot of them and any conflicting information causes failures) helps identify any configuration problems very quickly.

Hope that helps,
    jaya

kjayakumar, Jul 3, 2009
  3. Ashley

BigBoyVn

What connection option?

Hi Jaya,

Did you use option B for your home connection?!

Thanks!

BigBoyVn, May 18, 2010
  4. Ashley

kjayakumar

Hi BigBoyVn,

You might have missed that I labeled option B as b) Office setup . :) So, no, I didn't use the LAN mode setup at home but there is definitely no problem if one were to use it that way at home as well as in the office. Many people do in fact do that.

kjayakumar, May 19, 2010
  5. Ashley

jnwhite

Help?

I have got my wiser system connected to my current home network. i have changed the ip address of my wiser system to 192.168.0.20.

I can access the GUI of my wiser system from anywhere in my house, but once i get past the loading screen, i just get the message "unable to connect to wiser"

i have tried resetting the main controller but still nothing.

can anyone shed any light on my problem?

Thanks

jnwhite, Jun 10, 2010
  6. Ashley

NickD Moderator

Which configuration do you have it in?

The symptoms you describe are usually due to the ports required by the Wiser being blocked. If the Wiser is not your edge router you will need to configure your router to forward the ports Wiser requires.

Nick

NickD, Jun 11, 2010
  7. Ashley

kjayakumar

Hi jnwhite,

After changing the Wiser's IP address using the web based configuration, you also need to update your PICED project with the updated IP address of the Wiser, CNI, gateway or any other IP address changes that had been made and then transfer it to the Wiser. They need to be kept in sync.

kjayakumar, Jun 11, 2010
  8. Ashley

2SC

Problem with port forwarding and the solution I gave

Wiser is a great product, there is no need to add anything about.

However, since more of us confront problems with the router comfiguration, let me share my problem and the solution I gave - maybe this is a quick fix for someone else.

Since I have the type A configuration where ISP router has internal IP 192.168.1.1 and the wiser IP is 192.168.2.1 I couldn't succeed the port forwarding when I tried to port forward in wiser's IP 192.168.2.1

After several unsuccessful tries I saw in Wiser's System utilities STATUS page: Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.5

When I did the port forwarding in this IP (192.168.1.5) everything worked fine. (no idea why):p

2SC, Aug 29, 2010
  9. Ashley

NickD Moderator

The "Internet IP Address" reported by the wiser is the address it has been given on its WAN port. In your case, it's being given this by the DHCP server in the "ISP router", so this is why you need to tell the "ISP router" to forward the ports for the wiser to that IP address.

192.168.2.1 is the address of the Wiser for devices connected to the Wiser's *LAN* ports.

Nick

NickD, Aug 30, 2010
  10. Ashley

razor77

same trouble as OP

I have set up the forementioned b config, with all required ports forwarded on the router, but continue to get the error.

razor77, Sep 27, 2010
  11. Ashley

KevinH

KevinH, Sep 28, 2010
  12. Ashley

NickD Moderator

Have you configured the correct IP addresses for the Wiser and CNI in the PICED project settings? You also need to enable the option for it to work as a LAN device in the PICED project settings.

Nick

NickD, Sep 29, 2010
Ask a Question