Ultra mobile PC - preferable manufacturer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2SC, Mar 20, 2008.

1. 2SC

2SC

Dear friends.
    I am about to sign the biggest project of C-Bus I ever made. 2 houses, their common installations and the landscape - more than 700 channels in dimmers and relays.
    The only think the client asked is some remote controls with great capabilities.
    Since AMX or Crestron are too expensive and I don't really need them because the client doesn't want anything regarding video distributionor media players etc, I am about to propose him a ultra mobile PC. After all, Schedule plus will run on a server PC ...

Do you have a preferable manufacturer?
    Any other suggestion?

2SC, Mar 20, 2008
  2. 2SC

filpee

Love my lil Asus Eeepc.

Might be a bit small for some people though.

filpee, Mar 20, 2008
  3. 2SC

Darpa

2SC,

Are you looking for a laptop-style unit like the EeePC? or a tablet-style unit?

Darpa

Darpa, Mar 20, 2008
  4. 2SC

2SC

2SC, Mar 20, 2008
  5. 2SC

Lucky555

You better wait for a reply from one of the boys from the brains trust to confirm you can run SP / Homegate on Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.

I suggest you have a chat to these guys http://www.digitalhomeware.com/Default.aspx?
    Just for the record I have nothing to do with these guys however I know they have their act together really well and I also know a few very experienced C-Bus people who use their product(s) and speak very highly of it...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
    Lucky555, Mar 20, 2008
  6. 2SC

2SC

Dear Lucky555,
    I will have a server pc for running the security systems so Homegate will be installed there and the pocket pc - pda - tablet pc will connect to Homegate via the local wireless network.
    Digital Homeware or CQC look great, but I am too far from Australia so I am a little bit afraid to use them. After all I used Homegate in several projects without having any problem ever.;)

2SC, Mar 21, 2008
  7. 2SC

Darpa

If you plan to run HomeGate or SchedulePlus on a server, and then to just the UMPC as a remote to that, using a web browser, VNC, or Remote Desktop, then you shouldnt have any problems with the eo UMPC v7110e that you showed above. The hardware that it runs on is more than enough to run a basic XP install, and although it wont be super-fast, it should run just fine.
    And because you're running the C-Bus software on a seperate server, Windows XP Tablet Edition will be fine for what you want to do, as far as what software you can run on top of it.

To be honest, I havent come across any UMPC tablets lately that have a docking cradle, so I cant recommend any to you.

Regards,
    Darpa

Darpa, Mar 21, 2008
Ask a Question