UK Building Regs and Energy Efficient Lamps

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by lennyb, Sep 4, 2013.

1. lennyb

lennyb

I'm planning what lamps to use with my c-bus installation in my new house. UK Building regs state that 75% of the fixed lights I install must be energy efficient and have a luminous efficacy greater than 45 lumens per circuit watt.

Taking an LED GU10 type downlighter with a lumens output of 350Lm for a 6W lamp gives approx 58 lumens per circuit watt. However it says you also need to consider power requirements of the control gear.

So, is it possible to calculate this per circuit or for the total installation and divide by the number of lighting circuits? Or is it so minimal that it shouldn't really affect the calculation anyway?

lennyb, Sep 4, 2013
  2. lennyb

Matthew

Hi Lennyb
    first a clarification, I'm not in your country so not familiar with your reg's.
    I think though you will find the intention is to add the control gear (driver, ballast or transformer) that is directly associated with the lamps. In the case of a GU10 there is no external control gear, as there would be a driver with an MR16 form LED.
    I don't think the intention is to include that of a control system. Our other learned colleagues on this forum have previously advised is quite small, about 0.6 of a Watt per device from memory.

Cheers

Matthew, Sep 6, 2013
  3. lennyb

lennyb

Thanks for the reply, even if I did have to include the dimmers in the calcs then, at about 0.6W it's a negligible amount anyway that should make any difference to my selection.

Now I just need to find some suitable dimmable LED bulbs in the UK to try out!

lennyb, Sep 6, 2013
Ask a Question