U.S. homeowner interested in C-Bus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian, May 28, 2018.

1. Brian

Brian

Hello all,

I am considering new construction for my home, and I am researching the C-Bus system. I have lots of questions, but I think I should start with some basics for my situation.

1. I’m based in the US, and this system is not distributed here. Everything I can read suggests this is due to a business decision and not due to code/standard compatibility. Can anyone confirm this?

2. I have digested a fair amount of knowledge of the system, and I am at a point that I need pricing information to be able to create a realistic estimate of an implementation cost. Because there are no installers here (that I’m aware of), I need to find a reliable product source. Does anyone have thoughts on who to talk to?

EDIT: I should add that my expectation is to self install. I understand the complexities and have no reservations about taking this on. I just need a few breadcrumbs here and there to make sure I’m on track.

Thanks for any input!

Brian

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Brian, May 28, 2018
  2. Brian

Ashley

As far as I am aware Cbus 110V gear was discontinued some years ago.

Ashley, May 30, 2018
  3. Brian

Brian

I suppose that could be a deal breaker . Honestly, quickly thinking about it, I think I could make that work except possibly for dimmers. I’ll look deeper into that.

Brian

Brian, May 30, 2018
  4. Brian

Brian

So, I was surprised that I hadn’t noticed this and I realize that the specs from Clipsal don’t show up on mobile, only desktop.

Brian, May 30, 2018
  5. Brian

NickD Moderator

The USA offer is actually different to the other 110V versions.

It has different branding, different dimmers, different approvals, and is available with different power supplies (277V).

As far as I know it is still manufactured.

Nick

NickD, May 31, 2018
  6. Brian

Ashley

Interesting. I didn't know that. I guess I'm now aware :)

Who would know for sure?

Ashley, May 31, 2018
  7. Brian

Brian

I would be really interested to know more. I have made an attempt to contact a US importer without success.

Brian

Brian, Jun 6, 2018
  8. Brian

jboer

So I know C-Bus in the US was distributed under the SquareD label for a while, (also now owned by Schneider) but looking on the Schneider website it doesn't appear to have any 'C-Bus' equipment in that range anymore, just other power control stuff.

Edit: Well just doing a search for C-Bus on the Schneider US site, does indeed bring up a heap of stuff under the SquareD label. However it is all pretty much under the 'discontinued' section. However you can still get the C-Bus Power Supplies I believe. I would perhaps at least get the product numbers and see what your electrical supplier says.

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/search/C-Bus

Otherwise it may be a case of finding someone who is happy to buy it here and send it over to you.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    jboer, Jun 7, 2018
  9. Brian

MichaelD

An old thread, but I have loads of used 110v US spec C-Bus2 relays and dimmers for sale, they can be used with any of the current wall switches (input units), they seem to be the same wherever you are in the world.

MichaelD, Oct 29, 2018
  10. Brian

Intrec

Intrec, Aug 12, 2019
  11. Brian

Intrec

Michael - would be interested in your stock of 110V US spec C-Bus relays and dimmers.
    email: [email protected]

Intrec, Aug 12, 2019
  12. Brian

Intrec

Dear Brian

We, Intrec Services, works with the factory and has the role of supporting C-Bus systems.
    Please contact us if we can be of direct help. We are a distributor for Clipsal product in the US market.
    Yes, it is correct, the Square-D/Clipsal C-Bus had been obsoleted out of the US market. We are able to
    still get certain parts (not all) under special order.
    [email protected]

Intrec, Aug 12, 2019
  13. Brian

Intrec

Dear Ashleigh
    I noticed that you are very active in the C-Bus forum and provided very good feedback.
    Schneider USA as you are aware, had pulled out of the US market for the C-Bus system.
    We used to handled the Clipsal Electrical Accessories and had been appointed the role of supporting
    US C-Bus customers as best we could, with finding replacement parts that had failed.
    Hopefully we can be of some help to US customers seeking help with their system.

Intrec, Aug 12, 2019
Ask a Question