Two Wired networks connected by 2 Wireless gateways

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by martymonster, Apr 18, 2006.

1. martymonster

martymonster

Is it easy to set up the following

2 Wired networks connected by 2 wireless gateways?

Currently there is a 1 wired network which also has a wireless gateway which uses wireless wall plugs.

In the same property, the garage is currently a normal non C-Bus setup.
    The idea is to use a 4 channel relay and convert the garage fluro lights to a C-Bus setup.
    There is a chance that due to brick walls etc, the new wired network cannot be hooked into the existing wired network, hence the possible need for a wireless gateway in the garage.
    If the new network can be hooked into the existing network (easy access to the Cat 5 C-Bus cable) then that is the method which will be used as then there will still be 1 wired and 1 wireless network.

I had the electrician over tonight to see if the mains wiring can be done.

Replace the mains wiring to the switches to Cat-5 wiring and re-run the mains to the relay etc.
    No problems there. :)

Martin

martymonster, Apr 18, 2006
  2. martymonster

Wonkey

It is possible to use two gateways each linking to a wired network. but in your situation would replacing your standard switch with a wireless unit be easier

Wonkey, Apr 19, 2006
  3. martymonster

martymonster

Yes and no :cool:

There are some instances of multiple switches operating the same light.
    There are some other lights in another area which are currently connected to a normal switch which will be split to both C-Bus and normal etc (for the time being). But if at the time we can convert them all to C-Bus, we will.
    There are a few 3 way switches (3 lights per switch unit), wireless only supports 2 hardwired units on a switch.

The cost factor will be pretty much the same.
    I will be using 4 gang 2000 series switches to keep them the same as the existing C-Bus units.

The use of a second wireless gateway is a last resort as we should be able to splice into an existing C-Bus Cat5 cable.

Any other existing mains operated switches can only be converted to wireless switches, but my wife does not like mixing Saturn switches with 2000 series.:(
    All I need to do now is get the equipment and then organise when my sparky can come over.

Martin

martymonster, Apr 19, 2006
Ask a Question