Two serial connections to a PCI interface ?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Rolecgroup, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Rolecgroup

Rolecgroup

Can i control a single CBus network via two instances of Homegate running on different PC ? - both connected via a single PCI ?

As the PCI has RJ and 9 Pin inputs can i have one via the RJ connected and one via the 9 pin or does one disconnect the other ?

Thanks

Dean.

Rolecgroup, Apr 14, 2005
  2. Rolecgroup

Richo

Hi Dean,

You certainly can, but not in the manner you describe. You need to set one of the PC's to be the "server" and run C-Gate, which does the communication connected to the PCI on that PCs serial port.

The other PC then has Home Gate setup to communicate to the C-Gate on the other PC. The PCs need to be connected via ethernet networking to do this.

Richo, Apr 14, 2005
  3. Rolecgroup

Newman

You will need to use a separate PCI for each instance of HomeGate. Alternatively, as Richo suggests, set up C-Gate as the server and make the 2nd instance of Homegate connect to the C-Gate server.

Newman, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Rolecgroup

ashleigh Moderator

The 2 plugs on the PCI are just different methods of connection. Internally they are connected togther.

Plugging something into both ports at the same time won't work. It will just mean that nothing happens (at best), or wierd stuff (at worst).

Dont do it.

ashleigh, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Rolecgroup

Rolecgroup

Thanks for the info guys - now trying this, but failing.....

I have Homegate and CGate etc. running on the PC connected to the PCI - all working lovely.

Have installed Homegate on the other PC, connected to network can see other machine fine, but Homegate crashed with an exception error everytime i try to obtain projects from the IP address of the other machine. This closes Homegate but i do briefly see the error 'cant connect to CGate'

Is there something i should be doing on the machine that is acting as server.

Help please !!

Thanks

Dean.

Rolecgroup, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Rolecgroup

Rolecgroup

Just had a look at the dos screen for CGate running on the PCI connected machine - it says access control refused connection ?
    null - checking license ?

Is this sort of connection not allowed with the basic setup ?

Dean.

Rolecgroup, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Rolecgroup

Duncan

The end of this excellent thread will probably solve your problem.

Duncan, Apr 22, 2005
  8. Rolecgroup

Rolecgroup

Thanks Duncan.

I now have successfully got Homegate connected at the remote machine to the server...

However i cant make units repsond to the remote PC though :(

I have checked by loading Toolkit on the remote PC and can control the lights fine so i know everything is connected ok.

I have got Homegate to load the project from the server machine and have confirmed that the buttons on the remote machine correspond to the project.

I cant seem to make any of the buttons active CBus.

Should i see any traffic on either of the CGate windows on remote and server PC when i move the sliders etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Dean.

Rolecgroup, Apr 25, 2005
Ask a Question