Two netwroks joined by bridge - sending commands

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by znelbok, May 24, 2021.

1. znelbok

znelbok

I have two separate networks that I have joined with a bridge. They were originally built as two networks with the bridge but due to an issue I separated them and have finally gotten around to re-joining the two.

Originally I set aside the first 128 groups for one house and the second 128 for the second house, but over time I have exceeded the 128 available addresses and now there are conflicts - so the bridge is now not passing to the adjacent network (we were turning a light on and the people in the other house could not work out why there lights were doing strange things.

So, how do I have a button on my switch turn on a group on the other network. Their group 35 (253/35) is the front lights, my group 35 (254/35) is the kitchen light. I want a button on a switch to turn on their group 35 (i.e. 253/35), not mine. Is this doable

I think I have forgotten more than I can remember for C-Bus at the moment. Life has stopped me from getting stuck into this for a while now unfortunately.

Mick

znelbok, May 24, 2021
  2. znelbok

Ashley

Switches don't know anything about Cbus networks. They just send messages with no routing information which are received and processed by all devices on the same network, so there is no way to get a switch to control another network. When you put the bridge into 'send to adjacent network' mode, the bridge adds the routing information and passes it to the other network, but as you know the application and ga stay the same so it required applications and ga's to be the same on both networks.

You have 2 choices.
    a) You can use a logic device to receive the switch message and forward it to the other network. The problem with this is the switch still needs to have a unique group address so you are still limited by the 255 ga limit.
    b) Move one of the networks to a different lighting application and put the bridge back into application connect mode. You can then set a switch to the secondary network and control it directly.

Ashley, May 24, 2021
  3. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks Ashley - as I suspected a logic engine will need to be used. No biggie as I have a SHAC and/or CQC that should be able to do what I want. As I only need to control one or two lights it will be easier than changing the applications (I think)

znelbok, May 24, 2021
  4. znelbok

Ashley

For a small number of lights logic is the way to go. Changing the application a big job. The TrackGroup2 function was designed for this purpose.

Ashley, May 25, 2021
Ask a Question