Trying to Setup Direct Laptop Connection

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by Trevor, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Trevor

Trevor

Hi,
    New here, I'm trying to setup a connection between a laptop and a CTC2 color touch screen, I'm not having any luck so far, I've only been able to ping the connection and get a reply. The Toolkit can't see any devices connected.
    I have tried setting the laptop address in access.txt, not sure if it's correct. I have c-bus running on the Laptop. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Trevor, Nov 22, 2018
  2. Trevor

Mr Mark

Hi Trevor.
    Unfortunately you can’t use a colour touch screen as a C-Bus interface.

Mr Mark, Nov 23, 2018
  3. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for replying,
    How then do you run toolkit to setup the c-bus devices from a laptop?

Trevor, Nov 23, 2018
  4. Trevor

Ashley

You need a cbus serial interface. There are a number of choices.
    Stand alone interfaces include the 5500PC (RS232 to cbus), 5500PCU (USB to CBUS), 5500CN (ethernet to cbus).
    Several other devices also will work as interfaces. The 5500PACA is a cbus logic engine that can be used as an interface via USB. The Wiser I and II controllers support a network interface, as does the new SHAC controller.

None of the touch screens can be used as a cbus interface.

Ashley, Nov 23, 2018
  5. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Ashly,
    Appriciate the reply and information provided.
    A little background information
    I am currently repairing the CTC1 and CTC2 units for Clipsal, our company was the original manufacturer of the units and so far all of the testing and repairs have been done using our inhouse test utilities. I haven't needed to do any connection testing of the units as we test all I/O with our S/W at a hardware level. I do use a small C-bus setup to check that the unit does send/receive commands correctly. I recently had a customer that wasn't able to connect to his CTC2 using the network port on the front of the unit, this was diagnosed and repaired at a component level and tested ok, I didn't need to test the unit using a connection to a laptop running "Toolkit".
    i do however think it would be good if I can test the units with toolkit as well. I don't have any formal training in C-bus conectivity, and have only needed to check the C-cus comms signal To/From the main PCB for correct operation.
    As you say above I need to use a 5500CN (ethernet to cbus), to connect via the C-bus line, I do have one of these and have not had time or the requirement to use one as yet. I do intend on doing this as well.
    My customers original complaint was - No comms on the front port. Perhaps he is trying to do something other than connect to Toolkit, I'll have to get back to him and ask. I was under the impression he was trying to run Toolkit from his laptop via ethernet to setup the C-bus switches, lights, ETC... on the CTC2 unit
    regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Nov 23, 2018
  6. Trevor

Ashley

The network port on the CTC is mainly used for programming the CTC via the PICED software. If it is connected to the home network it can also be used via logic or certain widgets to access local network devices or internet sites (i.e. weather). If you are not already using PICED, it would probably be a good idea to install it on your laptop and you can use it to retrieve the current project on the CTC which will confirm correct network operation. The only way toolkit can communicate to the CTC is via the CBus network. If you hook up the CTC, a serial interface and power supply, you can run Toolkit and scan the netwrok via the serial interface. It should then pick up the CTC as a Cbus device. All Toolkit can do with a CTC is set it's unit address.

Nice to know someone is still repairing touch screens. Might have to send you mine one day :)

Ashley, Nov 23, 2018
  7. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Again,
    Thanks for the update, I would say form your post that he is trying to use PICED, I'll get this and give it a go on Monday.
    Yes we are now repairing the units for Schneider-Clipsal, our agreement is that we only repair the CTC1 and CTC2 Color touch screens, with 9-10 thousand out there i'll be at it a while.

Thankyou for your help with this. See your unit soon :D

Trevor, Nov 24, 2018
  8. Trevor

NickD Moderator

None of the 6.4” Colour Touchscreens can, but all of the black and white or spectrum touchscreens actually can.

NickD, Nov 25, 2018
  9. Trevor

Ashley

Ah yes. Forgot all about the USB connection on those Touch Screens.

Ashley, Nov 25, 2018
  10. Trevor

Trevor

Hi All,
    All sorted out, I now have connections to the CTC via a 5500CN to Toolkit, and a direct network connection using PICED.
    I have only done this through curiosity, as any/all repairs to the units can be checked and tested using our in house utilities. Just wanted and understanding of what goes on in the field and setup of the units for future reference.
    Very much appreciated all the help that is out there, thankyou.

Trevor, Nov 26, 2018
    Mr Mark likes this.
Ask a Question