Trouble connecting remotely

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by JoshuaTofler, Feb 25, 2023.

1. JoshuaTofler

JoshuaTofler

Hi All,

Having some trouble connecting to my SHAC remotely. No issues connecting using WiFi, however the remote connection away from home currently doesn't work.

I have set up port forwarding in the router for ports 80 and 443 towards the SHAC IP, and the HTTP server has been enabled. I try to connect remotely using a browser like this, XXX.XXX.XXX.XX/80 or 443

Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work?

JoshuaTofler, Feb 25, 2023
  2. JoshuaTofler

lcrowhurst

Use : instead of / before 80

lcrowhurst, Feb 27, 2023
  3. JoshuaTofler

pauly

As laurence said, try http://x.x.x.x or http://x.x.x.x:80

Please note some internat gateways do not handle a conneciton to port 80 from outside nicely as they could be expecting the port 80 or 443 connection to terminate on itself (for management).

o be safe, I always pick a differetn OUTSIDE port such as 20080.
    Eg say external/OUTSIDE/Internet facing IP is 203.1.1.1 and Automation Controller on INTERNAL LAN is 192.168.0.10 (default) listening on port 80, on internet router I would configure Inbound from internet on the local gateway:
    203.1.1.1 on tcp port 20080 and translate that to 192.168.0.1 port 80 on inside
    You would then in your browser over the internet, connect to http://203.1.1.1.1:20080

Be sure to change your admin password on the AC first to something cryptic.

if you are allowing this inbound traffic from any internet IP. Ideally you would use VPN or lock down the target gateway to a specific source IP./range

HTH

pauly, Apr 3, 2023
    Damaxx likes this.
  4. JoshuaTofler

Damaxx

As Pauly said, opening ports on your router is rarely a good idea unless you know what you are doing.
    VPN is certainly a good option but there is also Cloudflare tunnel that is a free service to remote connect to your home. All traffic is encrypted with SSL certificates so no one can see your log in details.

Damaxx, Apr 3, 2023
    pauly likes this.
  5. JoshuaTofler

pauly

Looks like a nice service Damaxx. Gonna test it out ! I think you just need a linux device with the Warp client and Cloudflare account, correct?.

pauly, Apr 4, 2023
  6. JoshuaTofler

Damaxx

Yep that's about it. I installed it in a docker container to make it easy to start, stop & update.

Damaxx, Apr 4, 2023
    pauly likes this.
Ask a Question