triggers and bridge

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Guts, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Guts

Guts

Have a job at the moment I'm trying to fix. I didn't do any of the install or origanl programming but have the job of trying to fix it.
    What the job has,
    Black n white touch screen on network 254
    DLT on network 252
    there are some scenes stored on the touch screen that are then triggered via the DLT and none of them work. The scenes that are on the touch screen that are triggered via DLT's on that same network work fine its just the ones that are triggered via the bridge that don't work.

It all used to work but now it doesn't. I even have a copy of the original program that I have reloaded and it still will not work. Since this is my first job with a bridge I'm not certain if I'm looking in the right spots for the problem.

What are some of the things I can check?
    I found more then 1 burden on each network. It had 1 at relay's 001 aswell as 1 set on the bridge.
    Had more then 3 clocks per network.
    Triggers seem to be the same on both the touch and the DLT.
    Bride is set to All Applications and send to adjacent network.
    Should the address of each side of the bridge be the same or different to each side? eg 252 and 005 or 252 and 252?

From what I can see its like the bridge isn't letting any functions threw it. Everything scans fine and I can make changes etc to the far side of the bridge. I tested this by just adding a on/off light to the DLT that has the triggers on it which is on the other side of the bridge. But it was only to a relay that was also on the other side of the bridge, I didn't check a basic on off light across the bridge.

Any help with this would be great, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
    Guts, Feb 16, 2008
  2. Guts

PSC

Maybe you could contact your local Clipsal Systems Integrator...

PSC, Feb 16, 2008
  3. Guts

znelbok

I am no expert on bridges but...

The address is different on each side of the bridge.

When you create a network you give it an address - default is 254 (local network). Your other network will have an address of say 253 (remote network).

Your bridge needs an address of 253 on network 254 and on network 253 the bridge needs an address of 254 (ie the address of the network it is connecting to).

There is also a connect applications box to pay attention to. This allows either all applications or only ones that you want to let through. If you only have the lighting application selected then you wont get the scene triggers being transfered. Set it to all application's and see how you go.

Note that if you do set it to all applications then when you turn on group 15 on your network group 15 on the remote network will also turn on. On my networks, the local network has groups from 0-127 and the remote has 128-255 to prevent the clashing of groups. If I need a group to be triggered from the local network I create it at the same group address as that on the remote network and label it the same. I have two dwellings connected together that run independently most of the time with a few common groups.

The bridge is basically two devices in the one casing, so you need to configure it on both side of the network, not just the local network.

Mick

znelbok, Feb 16, 2008
  4. Guts

Guts

Thanks Mick I think you might have just pointed out the problem. :cool:

I just looked at the program on my pc and the bridge had an address off 252 on network 254 (near side) but on network 252 it had an address of 005 (far side). I have now changed it to 254. :rolleyes:

Think I might go and download this tomorrow morning at 6am and see if it fixes the problem. ;)

Guts, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Guts

Guts

Well I was down at the job site at 6.30am just to change the address of the far side of the bridge.
    Nope didn`t fix the problem. :mad:
    The bridge has an address of 252 on network 254 and 254 on network 252.
    Yes I triple checked the "All applications" and "send to adjacent network" were both both selected.
    Anybody else have any ideas? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
    Guts, Feb 17, 2008
  6. Guts

znelbok

Sorry it didn't work.

Start from scratch again - can you turn a simple group on and off from the remote network?

can group 5 on network 252 be turned on from a key input on network 254 (ie group 5 is needed on both networks). You talk about a scene trigger in the original post - there is enough here to get wrong on its own without having a bridge to complicate things.

Then move to the trigger and double check it against the trigger on the other network. Toolkit allows you to open two devices at once for changes (great for a dual screen setup), so you can do a direct compare. They should be exactly the same as the bridge is now transparent to the network.

Other than that I am out of ideas.

I wonder - how old is the bridge. Does all applications actually mean all applications. If the scene trigger application was introduced after the bridge was built, then will it actually pass the commands for that application. My bridge is 5y/o and I don't pass scene triggers. If I get time on the weekend I will have a go and see if it works for me.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
    znelbok, Feb 17, 2008
  7. Guts

Don

'All applications' enabled truly means "all applications" on every C-Bus bridge ever made.

Don, Feb 18, 2008
  8. Guts

Duncan

The C-Bus Diagnostic Software or the Application Log in Toolkit will let you peek in on the network to see what is, or isn't, being sent. Good place to start if the bridge is indeed now set up correctly.

Duncan, Feb 18, 2008
  9. Guts

Darren Senior Member

This is good advice. You should do this first whenever you have any problem where C-Bus isn't doing what you expect.

For more details on how C-Bus Networks work, read http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/cis/__data/page/4129/C-Bus-Networks.pdf

Darren, Feb 18, 2008
  10. Guts

ICS-GS

Check the GA's

The best way to make sure you are talking about the same triggers,etc. Is to select one of the networks as the 'master'tag database, make sure all tags are entered here. then click on the 'other' network, and in the toolbar there is a copy tags function, which will copy all tags from the 'master' tag database into the 'other' network. then program using the imported tags.

Hope this helps.

ICS-GS, Feb 24, 2008
Ask a Question