Triggering a timer on a dimmer module

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by jako, Jul 4, 2005.

1. jako

jako

I want to trigger a timer of a dimming module.
    The timer is a 48-240v timer and when I place it on an output of a dimmer it times once and wont re trigger.

Maybe the dimming module needs a load if so how do I load it to get the timer working.

Any help would be appreciated

jako, Jul 4, 2005
  2. jako

Don

A relay would be a better choice

All C-Bus dimmers incorporate circuitry to reduce conducted electrical "noise" and comply with "Electromagnetic Compatibility" requirements. In Wired C-Bus, this circuitry includes a capacitor which effectively bypasses the switching element, and thus allows some current to flow in the load. I suspect that this current is enough to keep your "timer" running, and therefore it never re-triggers. You could bypass this current with a load to allow your timer to work, but selecting a load is not easy. If it is resistive, I think you will need to allow dissipation of at least 10W, which will get HOT and therefore needs special mounting requirements (and wastes power). An inductive load would work, but I don't know where you would get one that has the right qualities (a ceiling fan with a stalled rotor would probably do, but it is big and also dissipates). A capacitor wouldprobably do, but the dimmer chopps up tha ac waveform when operating and you run the risk of damaging the capacitor or making audible noise if you aren't careful.

Using a relay output would solve the problem here, without any fuss.

What are you trying to achieve? I would be surprised if the timing function you are after could not be set up in a C-Bus input unit, so that you can save the trouble and expense of the timer altogether.

Don

Don, Jul 4, 2005
  3. jako

jako

4 bathrooms on fan

i have an installation that has 4 bathrooms but one ducted fan system .
    so when you turn on the light the fan goes on ,but with c-bus you turn on the light on in one bathroom light goes on and fan .Then turn on the light in the other bathroom the light goes on but the fan turns off.

jako, Jul 4, 2005
  4. jako

ashleigh Moderator

If you allocate the fan and the lights as 5 separate group addresses, then you can set the key units so that a single key controls 2 groups (one group being the light, the other being the fan).

If you use the Advanced tab in Toolkit you can set this up, and each cbus key unit can be done differently.

Example:
    Lights are groups 1, 2, 3, 4
    Fan is group 5

On bathroom 1 key unit, set key to control groups 1 & 5
    On bathroom 2 key unit, set key to control groups 2 & 5
    etc

ashleigh, Jul 4, 2005
  5. jako

nickrusanov

As I see here, proplem is, that you use Toggle function to turn on lights together with fan. If you stop using it, making On and Off functions on different buttons separately, whis will start working OK.

If you have not enough buttons, try using On at Short Release and Off at Long Release (in Keys tab). :)

nickrusanov, Jul 6, 2005
Ask a Question