Trigger Scenes remotely

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Josh, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Josh

Josh

Some of the forum threads suggest/imply that scenes from a touchscreen (maybe NEO too) can be triggered remotely from other input units.

Is there any documentation that explains this in details, or is the someone who could try explain this? :confused:

Josh, Feb 18, 2005
  2. Josh

Newman

Josh

C-Touch, Neo, Saturn, Reflection and DLT are all capable of having their Scenes triggered remotely.

The remote triggering events occur on an application $CA so the device you use to remotely trigger the Scene needs to be on Application $CA. There are 255 Trigger Groups on this application and each Trigger Group contains 255 Action Selectors.

When the C-Touch, Neo, Saturn, Reflection or DLT unit is programmed you can assign a Trigger Group and Action Selector for a Scene (bet you were wondering what those fields were for in Toolkit eh?) When a unit sees a matching Trigger Group/Action Selector that corresponds to one of it's Scenes then the Scene will then happen.

So, the command that needs to be sent looks something like this:
    Application $CA -> Trigger Group -> Action Selector
    And this is equivalent to
    Application $38 -> Group Address -> Level

So, if you put a key unit on Application $CD and set a key to recall to 100% on Group $43 then this would be equivalent to Action Selector $FF (255) on Trigger Group $43.

This is covered on the C-Bus Training courses, which I highly recommend.

Newman, Feb 18, 2005
  3. Josh

UncleDick

UncleDick, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Josh

Josh

Does this mean that the input unit (to be used for remote triggering) cannot be used for controlling normal lighting as well (e.g one key to remote trigger the rest of the keys on/off on GA).

Josh, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Josh

Josh

Yes, where are they?

Josh, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Josh

Duncan

From Toolkit, open up a Neo/DLT Saturn switch.. from the "Function" Drop Down for any key Select "Scene" a little button will appear to the right of the Drop Down with 3 little dots on it.. click this.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2005
    Duncan, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Josh

Newman

Yes, that is correct.

Newman, Feb 18, 2005
  8. Josh

Htnut

Newman

That seems to be an unfortunate restriction. C-Touch scenes can be triggered by the lighting application.Why not withe the newer products ?

Htnut, Feb 19, 2005
  9. Josh

MichaelCarey

I agreee! I sure hope this can be changed in the future to allow other applications to trigger scenes on these units. :confused: It doesn't directly affect me as I use my C-Touch as a "scene repository" (plus a few more complicated ones using minder, time of day and home/away dependent).
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Feb 19, 2005
  10. Josh

ashleigh Moderator

C-Touch is an abberation, the person who made such a hack should be taken out and shot :)

You will notice that wireless device do not have the "single application" restriction.

In time, all C-Bus unit will be similarly more flexible.

DO NOT ask when.... We'll tell you. :eek:

ashleigh, Feb 19, 2005
  11. Josh

MichaelCarey

Homegate also allows you a flexible choice in your scene trigger application! ;)

MichaelCarey, Feb 19, 2005
  12. Josh

ashleigh Moderator

Same s/w author. Its always easy when you have *lots* of memory (like running on a touchscreen or PC). Key units by comparison are a minutely small processor.

ashleigh, Feb 19, 2005
  13. Josh

rhamer

Ah... the old PC Developer V Embedded Programmer debate. :)

Well let me throw another one in, Hardware Engineer... Now that takes skill! :D

rhamer, Feb 19, 2005
  14. Josh

Htnut

Ashleigh

You seem to have misunderstood my comment. I am happy with the way C-Touch does it even if the error message is anoying. As I understand it the Neo and Saturn units cannot do what C-touch does

Htnut, Feb 19, 2005
  15. Josh

Dave Byron

Remote scenes

We use the "lighting" application to trigger scenes in ctouch so that a neo etc can be used for normal lights and a scene trigigger.

We give the name like "Xtl bedtime", Xtl goingout" etc just to make then different to the other group names, then say in the garage the bottom two switch turn on the goingout and welcome home scenes in the ctouch.

Dave

Dave Byron, Feb 20, 2005
  16. Josh

ashleigh Moderator

I understand the comment perfectly.

C-Touch is an abberation in that it allows scenes to be triggered from pretty much anywhere. This is contrary to the design intent of all other C-Bus devices. Thats also why you get the warnings - its because you are doing something that is out of the ordinary and is not supported by others units.

[For those pedantic who want to pick a point: yes, I know HomeGate,C-Touch, and all the PC-based products have the same behaviour. They are all derivatives in one form or another from C-Touch.]

There are two solutions to this:

The WRONG solution - which is to do as C-Touch does, because it mixes the meanings of the application addresses. We won't propagate this behaviour into standard units. Too much potential for long term confusion and a big mess.

The RIGHT solution - which is to allow key units like Neo and Saturn to operate on more than one application. This way, you use the lighting application for lighting control, and the trigger control application for scene triggering, all from one single key unit. This is whats been done in the wireless range.

However:

Neo and Saturn do not (yet) have support for 2 applications. C-Touch does. C-Touch is also a much bigger processor with loads more memory and grunt-under-the-hood so its easier to implement many of the features desired.

To a degree, I think some of whats been done in C-Touch is a touch (!) less than elegant. "Crude but effective" is a term that springs to mind. It works and it keeps you the customers happy. Some of these things do create long-term support problems (for engineering and future development, not for you). Hence my flippant remarks.

You will see improvements in wired Neo and Saturn over time which will address these issues. As previously pointed out, its improved in wireless, its coming for others. Just don't ask when....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2005
    ashleigh, Feb 20, 2005
  17. Josh

Darren Senior Member

I will go and prepare the blindfold :)

Supporting scene triggering on the lighting application was a necessary evil. It has been a VERY popular feature, but was really a short term work-around (aka Hack) to a problem (as Ashleigh has described).

Unless you have an in-depth understanding of the C-Bus protocol and the future developments it is probably not clear why it is such a bad thing. The intent is to not "pollute" applications with messages which are not designed for them. As C-Bus becomes more complex, this will become progressively more important.

Darren, Feb 20, 2005
  18. Josh

Htnut

I agree that it is better to do things the correct way and I look forward to when the range is organised according to Ashleigh's suggestion. BUT what are customers to do in the meantime? Presumably the older range of key input units(eg 2000 series) will never support switching 2 applications. Long live the hack!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
    Htnut, Feb 21, 2005
Ask a Question