Transformers for leading edge dimming...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rakesh_k_v, May 15, 2008.

1. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

dear all...

can you please suggest some transformer makes, that i can use with leading edge dimmers...we are using Pro Series and Architectural dimmers...

we are having low voltage halogen lights 12V 35W and 12V 50W...

most of the circuits are with, more than 12 units of lights (max of 18)...these lights are also mixed in the circuit.

we are situated in Qatar, in Middle East. we have the lights but we want to buy the Leading edge transformers now, compatible with the clipsal Dimmers(Pro series and Architectural)

please give some suggestions and comments.

regards, Rakesh.

rakesh_k_v, May 15, 2008
  2. rakesh_k_v

Lucky555

Lucky555, May 16, 2008
  3. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

i have checked the compatible list.

if i have 18 lamps in one circuit (we are using Pro series / Architectural), each with max of 50W halogens,

can i use 18 x atco possums (33 micro farads), one each for the lamps OR

9 x HTM 105 Osram (100 micro farads) , one each for Two lamps with 50W halogens,

what will be the adv and disadv of this, including price wise?

we are situated in Qatar where the summer temperature rises to a maximum of 50 degree. obviously we are using air conditioner in buildings, still the temperature in the ceiling will be higher.

suggest a type of transformer which is thermally stable at these conditions.

regards, Rakesh.

rakesh_k_v, May 18, 2008
  4. rakesh_k_v

JohnC

suggest a type of transformer which is thermally stable at these conditions

A typical high-quality electronic transformer has a Ta (max ambient) of 50?C. The cheap chinese ones might say that on the label, but are more likely to be 40?C.

Tridonic TE-0060 Possum 60VA and TE-0070 Speedy 70VA & 105VA - Ta = 50?C
    Osram HTM70 Mouse 70VA 50?C, 105VA 45?C

If you want maximum stability and longest life, you want to use wire-wound transformers - they can run at far higher ambient temperatures, providing that there is sufficient air movement to dissipate the 10-12W of losses from each one.

JohnC, May 19, 2008
Ask a Question