Transformer help please

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by stonecoldbossman, Feb 11, 2009.

1. stonecoldbossman

stonecoldbossman

Hi All,
    I have an installation where I am having a problem with one room where the bulbs are not lasting very long i.e. anywhere between 1 month and 4 months I have other rooms where I have not had any problems but this room I used a new supplier for bulbs and transformers , I just wanted to check my calculations are correct as I am now purchasing new transformers and bulbs ... does this sound OK?

The room is split into 3 sections of lights:

Section 1 ? 8 x Dichroic 12v 35mm 35w connected to 1 channel of a 4-Channel Dimmer 2A - each bulb has its own transformer. (Is this too many transformers on a 4-Channel DimmerL5504D2AP )

Section 2 ? 7 x Dichroic 12v 35mm 35w connected to 1 channel of a 4-Channel Dimmer 2A

Section 3 ? 8 x Dichroic 12v 35mm 35w connected to 1 channel of a 8-Channel Dimmer 1A

The transformers for the above that I am about to purchase are OSRAM 70VA LOW VOLT TRANSFORMER Product Code HTM70.

The set up I have at the moment is the same as the above but I have not used transformers that are on the Recommend list before so I am hoping that solves my problem now I will be using are OSRAM HTM70.

Any advice on whether the above looks OK would be very, much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Lee Springthorpe

stonecoldbossman, Feb 11, 2009
  2. stonecoldbossman

______.

That dimmer can have a max 'input capacitance' of 300nF. Find out what the input capacitance is of the transformer you are using and check if that many are ok. Loading wise your fine.

As above

You are over loading this channel. it can only handle 230W of load and you are connecting 280W. If you ever upgrade the globes to a 50W globe you will blown the channel for sure. When ever allowing for channels you should always leave youself some room for load changes on the channel (eg client changing lights from 35W to 50W)

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    ______., Feb 11, 2009
  3. stonecoldbossman

stonecoldbossman

thanks this helps alot I will take 2 bulbs from the section you said I am overloading, and check the transforers... thanks for your hep!

Lee

stonecoldbossman, Feb 17, 2009
Ask a Question