Tracing Existing C-Bus Wring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LynnT, Jan 13, 2016.

1. LynnT

LynnT

Tracing C-Bus Wiring in an Existing Installation:

I have inherited an existing installation on a three-floor building, consisting of about 95 C-Bus connected units, and all are on one network. Most of the wiring is buried in the walls, and thus it is not possible to visually trace how these C-Bus devices are wired/interconnected. I need some methodology to find the ordering of these connections so I can draw an accurate diagram of how the C-Bus devices are networked together (logically how the wires run from one device to the next). I need this diagram to better respond to future problems when they arise in this network. Unfortunately, the installer left me with no diagram.

My first request is for anyone that has a process/technique that works for this situation, please let me know how I might do this. Every suggestion would be helpful.

My second request is to get some feedback on the possibility of using an electronic tone generator to locate my hidden wires. I have one such device which I have used to locate other types of wires hidden in walls. I have noted that no place in my C-Bus network are the ?Remote Override On? or ?Remote Override Off? wires of my C-Bus cables actually used to control any of my output devices, so one thought is to use a tone generator on one or two of these ?Remote Override On? (green) or ?Remote Override Off? (brown) wires and ?tone? on these. I have also noted also that most places where my C-Bus cables have been interconnected together (e.g., in visible patch panels), these ?Remote Override On? and ?Remote Override Off? wires are not even carried through the patch panels. However, these ?Remote Override On? and ?Remote Override Off? wires are wired-through on all the RJ-45 connectors (e.g., at output relays and dimmers). My concern is if I might damage one of these output devices if I connect the tone generator to one of the ?Remote Override? wires that goes through these output device. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated!

LynnT, Jan 13, 2016
  2. LynnT

Conformist

Sounds like fun:)

Assuming the network is operational, you can use the voltages shown by each unit as a bit of a guide. Also, disconnecting units and seeing what drops out also can help (assumes centralised power supplies so you may also need to disconnect some C-Bus power supplies). Couple this with a tome generator. Problem might occur if the spare pairs are not terminated at each point tho

Conformist, Jan 14, 2016
  3. LynnT

LynnT

Thanks

Thanks for prompt suggestions. Will try.

LynnT, Jan 15, 2016
Ask a Question