Touchscreen control over Ethernet via CNI's

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by glenr, Jul 3, 2012.

1. glenr

glenr

I have a Colour Touchscreen configuration problem that I am having a bit of difficulty resolving. It is probably a simple step I have missed and any assistance would be appreciated.

System Architecture / Background:
    - I have a single CBUS project with two networks (numbered 1 & 2).
    - Each network has a Colour Touchscreen, CNI module, plus the normal input and output modules. Each network operates OK on its own.
    - The Touchscreens are connected to their respective CBUS network and also via Ethernet to a managed switch (HP Procurve).
    - The CNI's are also connected to the managed switch.
    - IP addressing and subnet-masks are all OK for both the Touchscreen and CNI units.
    - I can connect too and edit units on each network OK.
    - I'm using PICED version 4.9.2

The problem I'm having is that I'm now trying to add some buttons on one Touchscreen (on network 1) to control elements on the other network (network 2). When I try and configure the 'Network Manager' in PICED I get a warning message saying that some Network Properties are invalid. When I click on 'Show' to see the error a pop-up appears with;

Unit network is 1
    Network 2 is selected but cannot be controlled.

Is anyone able to shed some light as to how and resolve this issue ?

glenr, Jul 3, 2012
  2. glenr

NickD Moderator

It sounds like you are expecting the CNIs to link the two networks... which they can't do.

You will need a C-Bus Network Bridge between the two networks.

NickD, Jul 4, 2012
  3. glenr

glenr

NickD, thanks for your reply.

Yes you are correct in that I was expecting to be above to communicate between networks via the CNI units.

If I need to use Network Bridges, then this almost negates in some respects the use of the CNI units.

In my particular installation the two networks are in separate buildings, so the use of CNI's and Fibre Optically connected Ethernet connections allows me to obtain a substantial level of electrical isolation between the two networks. The two buildings are only 20m apart so using Network Bridges is not out of the question, apart from the additional cost. I would expect that to obtain a similar level of electrical isolation I would need two Network Bridges, one in each building, so that if one network goes down the other is not affected, would the be an acceptable configuration ?

Also, if I were to install a PC based touchscreen running the Homegate software with just an Ethernet connection, would I encounter the same issue in trying to control units on each network from theis one touchscreen ?

glenr, Jul 4, 2012
  4. glenr

tobex

If you talk to a CNI with a Homegate or Toolkit just bear in mind that the CNI is only able to have one conversation at the same time. Unlike a generic LAN device it doesnt open multiple conversations.

By installing pairs of Bridges you will have one large network.

tobex, Jul 4, 2012
  5. glenr

glenr

Hello Tobex,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

I finally had an opportunity to investigate the issue in detail over the weekend (while I was also solving a tank level probe sensor fault) and I can confirm that if Homegate is communicating through the CNI's then a separate PC running Toolkit will not be able to connect to the network(s) (Practical trials reinforce the learning process !).

As you say Network Bridges are the only real way to get all of the functionality that I need, so I will be investing in two of them so that I can obtain the high level of electrical isolation between the two buildings that I need, and I will be able to communicate to all devices on the combined network using only one CNI (for Homegate, which leaves one CNI free for Toolkit).

Many thanks to everyone for their assistance, much appreciated.

glenr

glenr, Aug 14, 2012
  6. glenr

znelbok

From what I remember about bridges, they offer full isolation between both networks.

A failure of one network will not affect the other network, so I think two are not required in your case.

I do have a bridge here and I do know that when one network has failed the other is OK and unaffected.

Mick

znelbok, Aug 14, 2012
Ask a Question