Touchscreen connection

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by pbelectrical, Dec 5, 2004.

1. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Not wishing to unscrew the touchscreen from the wall each time I want to connect the serial cable from my laptop, I was wondering if it is possible to install a cable from the back of the touch screen to an outlet on the wall in another room. In this particular case the wall outlet would require a run of about 6 metres from the touch screen. Any info on this topic would be appreciated, e.g. type of cable, type of outlet on wall plate (D9,RJ45 etc), any limitations on run length, problems previously encountered.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Brown

pbelectrical, Dec 5, 2004
  2. pbelectrical

MichaelCarey

With my touchscreen installation, I ran a length of Cat-5 terminated in a RJ45 from the screen to my network patch panel. I can then plug the programming lead into the appropriate socket on the patch panel, OR, patch the RS-232 to another data point in my home that might be more convenient. I also have some RJ45 to 9-pin adapters for doing the same with my PCI, C-Bus Telephone module and HomeMinder. I have "adopted" the Clipsal RJ45 serial port pin definition for everything else that has a RS232 connector. I have tried it over 20m with no ill effects.
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Dec 5, 2004
  3. pbelectrical

Darren Senior Member

The EIA RS232C standard limits the distance to 15m at 19,200 baud. Given that the C-Touch is communicating at 38,400 baud, the maximum distance could be even less than this.

Darren, Dec 5, 2004
Ask a Question