Touch screens and alternatives

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tobex, Nov 4, 2006.

1. tobex

tobex

I want to replace a 16 button original stainless panel (4 x 4 key) with a touch screen.

The problem is that the 6.4" solution does not fit in the hole that was created by the original panel. Plus if I install a larger custom panel on the 6.4" touch screen it will not look right.

I would like to use a larger touch screen so that it can be seen more easily and fill the space.

Should I be looking elsewhere other than Clipsal ?

tobex, Nov 4, 2006
  2. tobex

znelbok

If you use a touch screen (say 12"-17" range) you will need a PC as well, unless it is a panel PC.

Reagardless of this fact, you are then going to need either Homegate or schedule plus which are Clipsal products, or if you have other hardware as well then something like CQC may be the way to go.

There are probably other solutions out there as well. I think someone had lighting control via windows media center.

znelbok, Nov 4, 2006
  3. tobex

2SC

You can use AMX touch screens or Crestons' as well.

2SC, Nov 4, 2006
  4. tobex

tobex

I was curious also about the Clipsal screen being used and the video connection it had.

If the data being sent to the 6.4" screen is a common format then it is just as easy to replace the LCD panels.

There are a number of companies now offering laptop boards in computer cases which are super tight. That could be an option also.

My friend was also tinkering with a wireless monitor which uses the base to charge but talks to the PC with a radio link.

I imagine that there are more options than there are days in a year. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
    tobex, Nov 4, 2006
  5. tobex

Darpa

Attaching a larger LCD with a touchscreen overlay to a CTC would most likely be a VERY involved process, not to mention well and truly voiding your warranty. But hey, if it can be done, then let the rest of us know :p

Darpa

Darpa, Nov 4, 2006
  6. tobex

tobex

Touch panels cost very little under 10". I know that recently we had to replace a 17" touch membrane and LCD for a computer and it cost us around $400.

We also have the machining and tooling to make custom enclosures in any shape and out of a dozen plastics for just a few hundred dollars.

Fabrication is no major drama. However I prefer to go armed with as much information as possible as that would give us the best possible result.

The cut in the marble is 180mm H x 125mm V

By using the factory electronics we maintain a lower cost of development.

Open to all suggestions. Would really like to have a look inside a 6.4"

tobex, Nov 6, 2006
Ask a Question