Touch Screen & Solar DC charge voltage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, Jun 7, 2010.

1. industeq

industeq

Newbie and just learning PICED.
    I was wanting to see if there was a simple way to show a voltage of my solar battery bank on the BW Mark II ?
    Instead of me going to the garage and checking the Solar controller I could just look at the C-Bus in the AC controlled living room.

industeq, Jun 7, 2010
  2. industeq

Aaron

Aaron, Jun 7, 2010
  3. industeq

industeq

industeq, Jun 7, 2010
  4. industeq

NickD Moderator

If you use the general input unit to read the voltage, I would set it up to broadcast this on the C-Bus Measurement application.

In your PICED project, you then add this measurement channel to you project in the Measurement manager, and then add a component to the screen (a bargraph, or text component). In the component properties, under the SystemIO tab, select Key Function "Status" and an Inbuilt System IO type of "Measurement App Real Value". Then choose the channel you assigned in the measurement manager.

HTH,

Nick

NickD, Jun 8, 2010
  5. industeq

industeq

Thanks Guys

Do I attach the 12V DC Battery wires direct to one of the inputs on the General Input Unit?

This seems to simple......:)

I need to get my hands on a General Input Unit then try.

Regards
    Alan Dobbs

industeq, Jun 10, 2010
  6. industeq

Darpa

Pretty much, Yes.

A few things to watch out for though:
    The max voltage you can feed into the GIU is 20v, so if your battery bank is 24v or 48v, then change my yes above to a NO. (Yes, I have noticed you said 12v DC above, but thought I should mention it anyway).
    If you can't place the GIU within close proximity to the battery bank, then make sure you size the cable appropriately to minimise voltage drop.
    Also, make sure you place the smallest rated fuse you can as close to the battery as possible, to protect against one of those unpredictable issues that may arrise in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
    Darpa, Jun 10, 2010
  7. industeq

industeq

What are the options for if I have a 24 VDC or a 48VDC bank...In the future I will have a 24VDC aling with the present 12VDC.

since the batterys are in series to achieve 24VDC can 2 inputs across each plus / minus be wired then some logic inside to add the sum value for the total value to be displayed.

Regards
    Alan Dobbs

industeq, Jun 22, 2010
  8. industeq

NickD Moderator

The General Input unit supports scaling of the voltage, so you would just use a few resistors to scale the voltage down to within the input range of the GIU, and then apply the appropriate scale factor to compensate for this.

Nick

NickD, Jun 23, 2010
Ask a Question