Topology map/16bit subsystem and toolkit 1.1.5

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by ScottB, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ScottB

ScottB

Topology map/16bit subsystem and toolkit 1.1.5

Since installing Toolkit I?ve had several issues with my computor and existing C-Bus/Minder jobs.

Problems
    1. Installing toolkit appears to have deleted regit 16bit subsystem files from my computer.
    I?ve reinstalled them several times to find every time I start toolkit they disappear again.
    2. Also the topology function disappeared off version 2.7 C-Bus software.
    3. All c-bus addresses in home minder jumped to the main network on a 2 network project. ( I believe this happened when I connected to the network with a CNI using Toolkit V1.1.5. Before this the system had been humming away happily for 2 years).

Installed on my laptop computer is-

Windows XP Pro, Toolkit V1.1.5, C-bus V2.1.7, Home minder V4.04, Lantronixs redirector v2.2/2, C-gate 2 and schedule plus.

As I am lead to believe these issues could all be associated as C-bus V-2 needs the 16 bit subsystem. Files and home minder relies on the topology setup.
    Could you please advise me if I? am on the right track and if there are any known fixes available or on the way.

Regards Scott B.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
    ScottB, Apr 5, 2005
  2. ScottB

Richo

We have not heard of anything like this, and cannot think of anyway that Toolkit could be causing this.

Can you explain what "16bit subsystem files" are being deleted? How do you re-install them? What is the word regit?

Haven't had any reports of this either.

Does the file "C:\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\TOPOLOGY.EXE" exist and what happens if you run this file from inside Windows Explorer?

When you say jumped what do you mean? Did you import/export a project from V2 and then back to V2?

If you did, because V2 doesn't recognised CNI networks there may have been a alteration to the project unless you change the network type back to serial before exporting.

If you didn't export back to V2 then nothing Toolkit does should alter you tag configuration in V2.

There are no fixes on the way as I believe your report to be the first of this nature. Will have to burrow some more into what is happening on your machine to come up with a solution.

Richo, Apr 5, 2005
  3. ScottB

Richo

Hi Scott,

Cliff from Tech Support just came to see me and I may have found the problem. He is going to call you and get you try a fix. If it works I'll post the solution here so everyone can use it if they come accross the same problem.

Richo, Apr 6, 2005
  4. ScottB

ScottB

Hi Richo, Thanks for your quick response.

Email Sent from cliff CIS Help Centre
    Scott,
    If you copy the Cbtag32.dll from the C-touch folder and overwrite the Cbtag32.dll in the Toolkit directory it may fix the problem.
    Regards
    Cliff

I Don?t have c-Touch software on my computer. I tried Copying the C btag 32.dll
    From scheduler plus and overwriting the Toolkit C btag 32.dll.
    No Joy.
    1. What "16bit subsystem files" are being deleted?

The Following Message Comes up after running toolkit and then attempting to run C-Bus V2.7. (C:\Window\system32\Autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. ?Choose close to terminate the application). When searching for a fix Microftsoft refer to them as redgit files.
    Whilst searching the internet to fix this problem I came across a free program fix. Its not perfect because the files keep being deleted but if I run this fix I am then able to run C-Bus V2.7.
    The fix is called (16bitSubsystemXP.exe).

2. Does the file "C:\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\TOPOLOGY.EXE" exist and what happens if you run this file from inside Windows Explorer?

I originally got the same error message as Above. I then run the fix program and could open in explorer. Then open c-bus V2 tried to access the topology no Joy. Whilst C-bus was open I ran the (16bitSubsystemXP.exe) and then tried topology without success.

3. When you say jumped what do you mean?

All the Group address in the minder config C bus interface file appeared on the one network and the other network was empty.

Did you import/export a project from V2 and then back to V2?
    Yes V2 to Toolkit. Keeping the original copy in V2.
    Then connected to the network via serial interface or CNI with port redirector I can?t remember which I used. I Think I tried booth.It Was the first time I had used toolkit on a multi network project and had difficulty logging on to the second network. My original line of thought was that the minder files were corrupted when a connected to the C-Bus using the Toolkit software. Being minder relies on the topology. This still may be the case BUT I recently found out that whilst on holidays a third party was called in to fix some problems. They left saying they could not fix the problem .and they took the customers back up disk with them. So I don?t know what to think about this particular part of the problem now. :rolleyes:

4.If you did, because V2 doesn't recognise CNI networks there may have been a alteration to the project unless you change the network type back to serial before exporting.

Sorry I Don?t understand what you mean here!

If you didn't export back to V2 then nothing Toolkit does should alter you tag configuration in V2.

I didn?t export back to C bus V2 didn?t no you could.

Although there was a third party involved I still feel the corrupted Minder C-bus file is still tied in with the topology. I am naive to how the topology resides/works on the C-Bus ?Minder network. My fear is if I reload minder ini file the hole system may crash.

Regards ScottB :)

ScottB, Apr 6, 2005
  5. ScottB

Richo

Basically when Toolkit exports a project back to V2 it has to make the project look like a V2 project. because certain network types don't exist in V2 Toolkit needs to convert there types back to normal serial .

Richo, Apr 7, 2005
  6. ScottB

ScottB

Any Progress

Hi has there been on progrss on this problem.
    Regards
    ScottB.

ScottB, Apr 12, 2005
  7. ScottB

Richo

Hi ScottB,

I recommend that you call Tech Support back and follow up on your original support call. It is unlikely that all engineers and support personel invloved are tracking this thread. The forums are an unofficial support channel and for any follow through on support issue continuing with direct contact to the Tech Support department is the best way forward.

Richo, Apr 13, 2005
  8. ScottB

Michael

Hi Scott,

Lets run through a few things for you to try.....

Do a search for autoexec.nt on C:/. You will find that windows has a backup copy somewhere in there......... once found, copy this file into your system32 directory and change its properties to READ ONLY. As far as i have been able to find, this is caused by a virus, and happens on start-up of the PC.

I suggest you try an online virus scanner as well, something like Symantec or Trend Micro.

After trying the fix above could you try opening C:\CLIPSAL\CBUSV2\TOPOLOGY.EXE independantly of the CBusV2 software (ie. navigate via my computer).

What happens? (am looking for specifics)

CBusV2.1.7 is rather old. As you are using a minder could you make sure you upgrade to V2.7.9 as this may also resolve some issues.
    **Please back-up your projects and uninstall the old version using the windows add/remove feature first**

Cheers

Michael, Apr 14, 2005
Ask a Question