Tools for 3rd party Apple IOS developers

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by paulwat, Jun 11, 2011.

1. paulwat

paulwat

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Wiser unit and despite having some issues with it's configuration (which I am still trying to overcome) I am pleased with it's potential as I have been with all of the CBUS hardware I have purchased.

What is surprising me is the lack of software for the Ipad or even a decent Iphone app.

I understand the commercial realities of not being able to do everything at once but Wiser as a platform combined with an Apple Ithingy could really help sell CBUS to a much wider end user market.

Clipsal/ Schneider is clearly a hardware company so it surprises me that I see no mention of enabling third party development of IOS (or any other format for that matter) applications.

Taking an example - the Demopad application for IOS (http://www.demopad.com/index.html ) is a remote control platform that already supports Lutron and Crestron, this for me would be a killer application if it interfaced with Wiser as well.

There was a question posted previously asking if an SDK would be offered to 3rd party developers - there wasn't really an answer - So I would like to ask again is there a plan to move in this direction?

For clarity when i say SDK i am talking about a suite of tools that would allow developers access to the wiser using an application such that the other web based functions of Wiser continue to work - plenty of people already have 3rd party access via Cgate and CNI approaches but this isn't what i mean and would negate most of the benefits of Wiser.

If CBUS is to break away from a traditional BMS type image it needs to embrace the Ipad/Iphone/tablet as a hand held front end and offer the opportunity for integration with other control applications.

Regards

Paul
    P.S. Whilst today I am a user /specifier of this technology -2nd house I have had a complete install and rewire - I am also considering a career change which would see me enter into this area in a professional capacity hence my rather impassioned request to address this gap in CBUS useability as without it I am not convinced CBUS would continue to compete in the residential market.

paulwat, Jun 11, 2011
  2. paulwat

Newman

Are you saying that you have issues with the freely available Wiser iPhone app?

Newman, Jun 20, 2011
  3. paulwat

nickrusanov

I think he means it's not "decent" =) And have to agree

nickrusanov, Jun 23, 2011
  4. paulwat

ashields

Obviously this would be a no go for commercial development without support but for hobbyist use the wiser protocol is not that difficult to understand after a few minutes with wireshark (it's xml based).

The only non trivial part is the encryption used for the users password (or maybe it is trivial - I spent 0 minutes trying to reverse engineer it for my toy applications) which again for a hobbyist application or where you don't change your password often (shock horror) is really not a problem.

Maybe once Clipsal are happy that this protocol isn't going to need any significant changes they'll provide documentation and support for it.

ashields, Jun 24, 2011
  5. paulwat

kjayakumar

I'm happy to hear that.

You are exactly right.

kjayakumar, Jun 25, 2011
  6. paulwat

mich

Hi Ashields,

Any chance you can share what hobby app code you got going? I had a go with wireshark this morning and whilst I could easily enough work out the XML command and status stuff, wiser doesnt respond, I expect because i'm not sending or at least establishing any authorisation. I'm working on a hobby app too using ajax/php that I am hoping to use on an ipad abd whilst I have some things working via c-gate, getting it to work via my wiser would be nice too.

Cheers;
    Michael.

mich, Jul 6, 2011
  7. paulwat

mich

actually, i got it sorted now. still interested to share your code though if thats possible. happy to share what i've written.

mich, Jul 6, 2011
  8. paulwat

ashields

wiser api

Hi Michael,

Here's a copy of my source if it's of any interest to you.

It's java

com.ashields.cbus.* "general" cbus load and group classes
    com.ashields.wiserclient.* wiser connection and listener stuff
    com.ashields.ha a couple of test "applications", one for monitoring pir activity and one for lighting use

It's all read only, not really had any requirement to do anything else

Cheers
    Alan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    ashields, Jul 11, 2011
Ask a Question