Toolkit : Unit Documentation *.csv

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by JohnC, Mar 3, 2006.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Hi there,

I am just documenting a project, and found a few simple things that you can add to the to-do list for that "Doc" button that creates the *.csv file...

1. For Input Units, anything programmed with a < scene > is shown incorrectly as < unused > on the *.csv list - is there a way to at least make the csv list at least mention that a scene is on that button? Scenes are quite an important aspect of C-bus!
    - and is there a way of listing exactly WHAT those scenes do, like how is done for reports from PICED (and even in the old C-touch software)?

2. The *.csv list includes PartName but not the TagName of each device. Most of us only use a code for PartName, and enter more concise info in the Tag (for example PartName="KP01" TagName="Kitchen Near Outside Window"). Could TagName also be included in the *.csv report please?

3. "Area" is shown as a column in the *.csv list, but is always blank. Some of us (still) use Area Addresses, so could this data please be included.

4. Toolkit automatically creates an "extended description" for it's own Unit listings eg: "KEYA6 - 6 gang Reflection Key Input Unit", yet the *.csv only shows the product code "KEYA6". Could you include the full unit description from Toolkit to make the list easier to understand for clients?

I like how the Toolkit data is in *.csv rather than the text file generated by PICED, as this makes it easy to present to the client as an easy to read summary. However there's quite a lot of extra info (eg: scenes) that could also be included. Perhaps there's an easy way of using the routines used in PICED to create an "extended info" report from Toolkit? That sure would be easier than the various "hack the database" methods that users have had to create due to the lack of proper project documentation....

For example, it would be great to have a report that showed that Group 02 was controlled by Keypad1 Button1, and also Keypad5 Button4. That info is shown in the "Groups" section of Toolkit, so it's just a case of gathering the data and exporting it somehow (rather than using a database hack and/or creating a manual list). PICED exports include this kind of info in it's text file project documentation, so I'd hope that a similar routine could be used within Toolkit?

Please consider that Toolkit is the "core" of all C-bus installations. Therefore this kind of documentation is important to make C-bus appear as a professional product to clients, and also to cut down time for Installers and Integrators, who currently spend a considerable amount of time designing and documenting in external applications like Excel. It often seems to me (as a end-user) that far more work has been done on the peripheral applications like TICA and PICED, without ever finishing off Toolkit.
    - and don't start me on that "forgotten" Toolkit Help File :)

Cheers, John

JohnC, Mar 3, 2006
  2. JohnC

Duncan

Thanks for taking the time John, all comments noted..

Duncan, Mar 3, 2006
  3. JohnC

Dave Byron

Johc
    Is this what u looking for, in the scenes sheet teal cells tell me i have a scene on that gang and what the trigger is for that scene (only give me the number at moment working on getting the tag name). These are using scenes store in a touch unit, if scenes in switch I just put the word scene in cell.
    The second one is my site cross reference sheet ? shows all the uses of each group, teal show dimmer etc and the yellow cells indicate I have not used anywhere in site.
    Duncan should be able to improve on this

dave

Attached Files:

Dave Byron, Mar 4, 2006
Ask a Question