Toolkit under wine

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by JulianC, Nov 29, 2005.

1. JulianC

JulianC

Greeting bus-lings,

has anyone tried running toolkit under wine (windows emulator for linux) with any success?

I'm planning on documenting the process if I can get it working - linux is my primary desktop. Why? Frankly, I'm fed up with one proprietary company (micro$oft) acting as the gateway to my computing experience and disturbed that the vast majority of pc users accept this without another thought (/rant).

CBus/Wine Experiences so far:
    • CBus toolkit 1.1.5 with jre installs OK
    • Toolkit loads and presents user interface on linux desktop
    • Able to browse default projects
    • On attempt to connect to network (no physical network actually present), returns error in ComCtrls module although I suspect it would work

The error possibly relates to an icon animation (developers?). I don't have access to a network at the moment so I'm not sure whether any message sent to cgate port.

If anybody's had success, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Keep on bussin'

JulianC, Nov 29, 2005
  2. JulianC

Duncan

Hi Julian,

There is indeed an animated icon when you attempt to scan units.. I'd love to see you get this working, give me a day or so and I'll do a build of the software without the animated icon for you!

Duncan, Nov 29, 2005
  3. JulianC

Richo

We have had some success in house running another of our products (not Toolkit) under wine and continue to explore the possibilities that entails for us. However wine is a funny beast and the results can be ...ummm...unexpected.

Richo, Nov 29, 2005
  4. JulianC

JulianC

Thanks for the positive responses guys. Duncan, an animation-less cut would be fantastic. Richo, I've got my chair and whip ready, wish me luck!

JC

JulianC, Nov 29, 2005
  5. JulianC

JulianC

Too much wine?

Checking in again on Toolkit under wine running on fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.12-1.1372.

After installing CBus CBusToolkit_1_1_9_Full.exe, I've got C-Gate running using j2sdk1.4.2_10, with the sun commapi comm3.0_u1_linux.zip. This could be a thread in itself, suffice to say my previous document is now wholly redundant.

I set the PCI address to /dev/ttyS0, and ensured my user had write access to /dev/ttyS0.

Attempting to run wine CBusToolkit1_1.exe fired up good ol' project manager with no drama. Interface feels solid and responsive, which is usually a good sign.

Good ol' c-gate displays the connection from localhost (127.0.0.1).

An attempt to scan ye olde network throws the same error mentioned in a previous post:
    exception 'Exception' in module CBusToolkit1_1.exe at 0009B020
    Cannot open AVI

Module: ComCtrls, Source: comctrls.pas, Line 14467
    Procedure: TAnimate.CheckOpen

This error seems to kill calls to cgate. Project Manager still responds, but no scanning.

Duncan, a little branch with no animations will hopefully solve the problem. I'm also chasing up possible wine DLL versions that may allow animations to function, which would (hopefully) future proof new toolkit releases with wine.

Julian Conway

JulianC, Dec 8, 2005
  6. JulianC

Duncan

OK.. its coming.. just got a release to get out the door.. will email you directly.

Duncan, Dec 8, 2005
Ask a Question