Toolkit Reporting

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Dak, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Dak

Dak

Hi All,

Just a couple of simple and probably silly questions -

I purchased an L5504RVF20 (4 Channel 20 Amp Relay) and took delivery of this unit. I am running Toolkit Version 1.9.0.

In Toolkit the unit is reported as being "Catalog Number" 5504RVF (serial no 001001771748) not 5504RVF20.

Does Toolkit know the difference between these two units and accordingly display the differences. I am worried I have actually taken delivery of a 4 Channel 10 Amp Relay instead of a 20 Amp Relay.

There is nothing on the front of the Relay Unit to identify it as a 20 amp unit. My installation was completed almost 2 years ago and I dont have packaging etc etc so that i can easily tell if the unit is actuall a 20amp or 10amp unit.

More Dumb Questions - are there identifying marks on the back of the unit so that I can tell if it is a 10amp or 20amp unit. Its been so long since I physically held one of the units in my hand I cant remember if there are identifying marks on the back of it or not.

I have 4 CELMAC HeatRay- ERH Heaters connected to this relay unit. Each Heater has 2 x 2.5 Amp Heating Elements in it (call them element A and element B). So, each heaters (four of 'em) elements A are on a single circuit , and each heaters elements B are on a single circuit.
    So there are 2, 2.5mm feeds from the 4 heaters going back to the 4 channel relay.

So, there is one circuit from all 4 element A's going back to Channel 1 of my relay and one circuit from all 4 element B's going back to Channel 2 of the relay.

So that way it is possible to have the heaters in Lo or in Hi mode with Lo being either of the channels being on - and Hi being with both channels on.

So I can assume that when either Channel 1 or Channel 2 is switched "on" (Lo Mode) the heaters would draw 10 amp (4 x 2.5amp), and when i have both Channel 1 and Channel 2 switched "on" together (Hi Mode) the heaters would draw 20 amp??

The electrician has installed a 16amp RCD to "feed" the Relay Unit - (but, am I correct to assume that this in insufficient when I have both Channel 1 and Channel 2 on as the heaters would draw 20amp).
    So in this scenario I would expect the RCD to trip - and it does.

However the RCD also trips when I have only Channel 1 or Channel 2 switched on..It does not trip immediatley but after approx 60 to 90 seconds.

So the question is: if my relay unit is only an L5504RVF (10 amp) would this account for the RCD tripping - and if I had a L5504RVF20 (20 amp) relay installed and I had a properly rated RCD installed 25amp as opposed to the 16 amp that is currently installed (and assuming the wiring to the heaters is not faulty, or one of the heaters itself is not faulty) it would fix the problem???

I am very sorry about the length of the post - and for such simple questions as well - but i figure the more information I provide the better! Hope you think so too...LOL.

Regards Dak

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
    Dak, Jun 29, 2008
  2. Dak

Darpa

I strongly doubt that the relays being under-specified (10A instead of 20A) would trip the RCD.

It is far more likely that one of your heaters is faulty, and leaking a minute amount of current to ground, or that your heater elements are drawing alot more power than 2.5A each (more likely than a residual current fault).

And yes, you should definately have a higher rater RCD than 16A before the relay.
    Also, although it is not a requirement in Australia, considering the way you have your heaters wired, I would recommend a 16A MCB after each relay channel for added safety.

Darpa, Jun 29, 2008
  3. Dak

ashleigh Moderator

Toolkit can't tell the difference between the ratings of the relay units.

Each unit should have a label somewhere on it (on the ends, I think, for DIN units) which tells you the complete catalogue number, serial number, and so on.

As for Darpa, if the relay was of the wrong rating this would not cause the RCD to trip. There is an electrical fault causing that.

If the relay was of the wrong rating you'd find the contacts welding pretty quickly... you'd know about it soon enough.

Time to go finding the electrical fault... if not found & fixed it could be dangerous!

ashleigh, Jun 29, 2008
  4. Dak

Dak

thanks

Thank you guys for your prompt reply.

I will get onto it....get the electrician to look into the wiring etc etc.
    I have had power to the particular relay and heaters switched off and have reprogrammed the relay channels to the heaters so that they cannot be switched "on" until the fault is found.

Thank you again for the replies.

Regards Dak

Dak, Jun 29, 2008
  5. Dak

NickD Moderator

The L5504RVF20 is a 12M wide DIN unit.. the L5504RVF is only 8M wide... so it should be fairly easy to tell..

Nick

NickD, Jun 30, 2008
  6. Dak

Dak

Thank you NickD. That makes it very easy indeed!

My unit is definately the 20 amp as it takes up the full rail in the cabinet.

Cheers - now to find the suspected fault tripping the RCD.

Regards Dak

Dak, Jun 30, 2008
Ask a Question