Toolkit - Initial Network Setup

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Thomas, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Thomas

Thomas

When setting up a new network, my work procedure is to create the network on the Database, arrange the addresses, program the various group names, etc. No serials are logged.
    When the physical network is then built up, and a scan is carried out, I find that only part of the units are recognised, and their serials are shown. However, a whole bunch of units are not matched to the database, and serials can't be read in.

If I "force" the units into the DB, I sit with duplicate units.
    If I scan the network via V2, then import into Toolkit, all is well, i.e. all units are recognised and serials recorded.

Units which I refer to here are dimmers (1A, 2A) and relays (12ch), all DIN.
    Is this a bug, or simply an unacceptable work procedure?

Thomas, Mar 23, 2005
  2. Thomas

Duncan

Hi Thomas..

There's a process you can go thru to reconcile your Network Addressing.. For those where a Serial Number match exists but the Network differs (ie. a partial match) you can have Toolkit automagically correct the addresses on the Network. This Tutorial describes that process..

Where a serial number match is NOT available your only option is to match on Unit Type.. so select a Unit in the Network (bottom part of screen) and then press the "Set Addr -> DB" button.. if no serial number match exists Toolkit will present a list of compatible units in the Database that MAY be the one you're attempting to match it up to.. select the correct unit and Toolkit will align the addressess.

It should be noted that the NETWORK is always modified to suit the DATABASE...

Hope this helps. Please feel free to expand on your question.

Duncan, Mar 23, 2005
  3. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for the info. I have read the Tutorials previously, where the procedure is based on reading the serials prior to the first network scan.
    I will certainly go through the procedure which you have suggested, and will see if that gives me any joy. This will happen in the next few days, when I will set up another project.
    I am wondering though why the serials are unavailable in the case which I have described, when the serials for the very same units are read in without a problem, once unit addresses have been assigned via V2?

Thomas, Mar 24, 2005
Ask a Question