Toolkit - get existing code

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Toadette, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Toadette

Toadette

Hi. I have a C-bus lighting system in my house. I have the original project (on CD). The project has been modified, but I do not have the modified code. I know the code is stored in the Cbus system, somewhere. How can I get the information (it is not 'import', I have discovered that is to do with something else!) from the system? When I connect to the network, instead of the list of groups being labelled, they are just Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, etc. And no code. But the code must be there, because the system is still doing all the things it has been programmed to do. I keep reading the word 'database' but cannot find where/what it is! I have found 2 XML files, which has code in it; one (from the CD) has all the labels and code in it:
    <xmp><Group>
    <OID>0a7be4e0-a83d-1029-b9b8-c1b9925e03e6</OID>
    <TagName>RA04 (LOWER WASHROOM)</TagName>
    <Address>3</Address>
    </Group></xmp>
    The one from the actual network just has Group 3:
    <xmp>- <Group>
    <OID>cdc03520-f112-102c-8456-e3e994fec245</OID>
    <TagName>Group 3</TagName>
    <Address>3</Address>
    </Group>
    - <Group></xmp>
    How do I 'assemble' this project to reflect what is actually on the network?

Toadette, Feb 1, 2010
  2. Toadette

Dave Byron

Toadette
    First what are the file extensions of files on the CD, that will give a clue what you have ??.
    The project has been modified, what sort of mods ??

The group labels are store in the Toolkit DB not in the units, the units store the group number.

So if you have a valid Toolkit DB on CD it can be used to match up your system group numbers with the group text , if not worst case goto into Toolkit and create a project ie toadette, then go online with Toolkit and scan the network.
    Then transfer all to DB, this will give you an updated DB, but no group names.

There no short way of turning the numbers into text other then working your way thought them one at a time.
    But if what on CD any good this will be made easy.

good luck

dave

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
    Dave Byron, Feb 1, 2010
  3. Toadette

Darren Senior Member

By "code" are you referring to the firmware in the units? In C-Bus, most units never have their firmware changed as such. Configuration parameters (such as group addresses and key functions) get transferred to and from the units instead.

You can get the configuration information from individual units:
    1. Select the "units" node on the tree
    2. Scan the network.
    3. Open the unit of interest

From there you can transfer the data to the database if the programming has changed since the database was archived.

The "tags" (names of group addresses etc) are not stored in the units on C-Bus. They only exist in your C-Bus project database. You need to install the project from your CD before scanning the network. Since you have already found the xml file, this is easy - just copy it to C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag then re-start ToolKit and C-Gate.

Darren, Feb 1, 2010
  4. Toadette

Colin Smith

Greetings Toadette,
    I am based in Glenfield, happy to have a quick look over your shoulder if you stay lost.

Colin Smith

Colin Smith, Feb 2, 2010
  5. Toadette

Phoneman

XML Issue

I am trying to revisit my C-Bus programming after a long hiatus and find I too can not find the programme files.

I have searched the computer for the CBZ or CB3 files to no avail.

I have however found an xml file but can not figure out how to refresh/import the data contained therein into the existing CBus network.

Phoneman, Jun 14, 2010
  6. Toadette

______.

Copy the XML file into the follwoing folder C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag
    Then when you open toolkit you should see that project in your database.

______., Jun 15, 2010
Ask a Question