Toolkit error - Unable to open the Network

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by ranilroshan, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ranilroshan

ranilroshan

Hi

I recently installed Toolkit 1.12.5 (C-Gate 2.9)and try to connect to the C-Bus system via PCI and I'm getting error "PCI Fail to reset, Unable to open the Network"
    (See the attached image). But no issue with the previously installed Toolkit 1.11.2 (C-Gate 2.8) with this PCI

Rgd
    ranilroshan

Attached Files:

ranilroshan, Nov 7, 2013
  2. ranilroshan

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi ranilroshan,

This is a rare problem that we haven't been able to reproduce in-house.

Can you tell us more about:

* Your Windows OS version (and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit)
    * The make and model of the USB/serial adapter in use

daniel, Nov 8, 2013
  3. ranilroshan

ranilroshan

OS - Windows 7 Professional SP1, 32bit
    USB to Serial Converter - ATEN UC-232A

ranilroshan, Nov 8, 2013
  4. ranilroshan

jboer

Hey Ranilroshan,

I have this same problem, unfortunately in Toolkit 1.12 the Aten UC-232 adaptor does not work, it appears that something in the update of TK is not reading the caricatures correctly and you end up with rubbish.

(http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255&page=3)

I had to change adapters when using 1.12.xx. I have found a couple of others that work but the ones that the C-Bus guys use and will remain supported are these: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UC232R-10/768-1014-ND/1836392 (They can be bought from many places Ellement14, RS, digikey ect. Just tried to find somewhere in Sri Lanka ;-))

jboer, Nov 10, 2013
  5. ranilroshan

KCW

C-Bus toolkit ver 1.12.x cannot use the USB to serial cable that use Prolific chip set. Please find FTDI chip set cable instead.

KCW, Nov 11, 2013
  6. ranilroshan

Clipsal recommend USB/Serial adapters containing the FTDI chipset.

In-house we use the following Dontronics-branded products:

* Dontronics EasySync Premium Gold 10cm (US232R-10) [http://www.dontronics-shop.com/easysync-premium-gold-usb-rs232-adapter-cable-10cm-cable.html]
    * Dontronics EasySync Premium Gold 1m ( US232R-100) [http://www.dontronics-shop.com/easysync-premium-gold-usb-rs232-adapter-cable-1-meter-cable.html]

Dontronics is an Australian reseller with EMC number N14327 for Australian C-Tick Approval.

The original (identical) FTDIChip devices can be found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

The FTDI drivers can be found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

As jboer indicated, there are many suppliers for these devices and rebadged versions of them. As long as they are good quality products and use the ftdichip.com drivers, they should work fine.

There are of course other devices and drivers that work but I'm afraid we don't have an exhaustive list. Other than FTDI I believe there are two other widely used chipsets.

Silicon Labs chipsets I think would also be okay as they are known for quality and we use them inside some of our products.

Prolific chipsets tend to be more budget-oriented and we don't have much exposure to these.

I will add the note about ATEN devices to our internal knowledge base (thanks!).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
    daniel, Nov 11, 2013
  7. ranilroshan

poldim

poldim, Nov 25, 2013
  8. ranilroshan

ashleigh Moderator

Its very common to have problems with Prolific based devices.

The prolific drivers are a bit dodgy, and worse, they changed their hardware a few years ago to use the same identifications (to the OS) BUT the new and old devices were not compatible!

So making a prolific device work is a world of pain. I bought a few because they were really cheap. And then blew vastly more $ in labour time trying to make the suckers work.

Just pay $25 (instead of $5) for an FTDI based device and get on with a happy life.

ashleigh, Nov 25, 2013
  9. ranilroshan

poldim

I'm not connecting over serial, only connecting to CNI over IP. What will the ftdi do for me?

poldim, Nov 25, 2013
  10. ranilroshan

Hi poldim, you don't have the same issue as the original poster of this thread, so the FTDI advice doesn't apply to your issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
    daniel, Nov 26, 2013
  11. ranilroshan

ranilroshan

Thanks all

ranilroshan, Dec 4, 2013
Ask a Question