Toolkit 1.15.6 disconnects PACA from C-BUS

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by williver, Apr 5, 2020.

1. williver

williver

I have recently started using my PACA when using the Toolkit to connect to my C-BUS network, as my network interface died.
    I have noticed that after I access C-BUS via PACA, the scheduler in the PACA stops controlling my c-bus lighting groups. Even after I close the Toolkit, the problem persists. The way I have been fixing this is to open PICED and chose the menu option to 'connect to c-bus'. Then I close PICED and everything is back to normal.
    I dont know why this is happening but I'm hoping there is a way to fix this issue.
    Thanks for your help

williver, Apr 5, 2020
  2. williver

chromus

Are u closing the network before closing the software?

chromus, Apr 5, 2020
  3. williver

Ashley

Make sure you close Cgate when closing Toolkit (toolkit has an option for this). Also, make sure you haven't installed Cgate as a service if you are using the PAC as an interface as it will keep running in the background.

Ashley, Apr 5, 2020
  4. williver

williver

Thanks for those tips. I've been able to zero in on the issue further and replicate it without using Toolkit.
    So to begin with, I've set the Cgate service in Windows to manual and have confirmed that it is stopped.
    And just to confirm, PACA schedules are operating as expected prior to the next steps.

1. I open PICED and refresh the project from the unit - my test schedule, which pulses a lighting group is still working
    2. I choose 'Options | Connect To C-Bus' from the menu - network connects and my test schedule is still working
    3. I deselect 'Options | Connect To C-Bus' - my test schedule STOPS working
    4. I repeat step 2 above - my test schedule starts working again
    5. I select the menu option 'Transfer | Connect To Unit' - I get an error message (see attached) and my test schedule STOPS working
    6. I repeat step 2 above - my test schedule starts working again
    7. I chose 'File | Exit' - my test schedule STOPS working
    8. I re-open PICED and refresh the project from the unit - my test schedule still not working
    9. I choose 'Transfer | Control Unit | Reset' from the menu - my test schedule starts working again

So in a nutshell, after I access C-Bus either via PICED or Toolkit, my PACA seems left in an unstable state which then requires a reset. With toolkit I have closed network and cgate.

I've attached an image showing my program preferences and also the error message I am getting.

Any wisdom appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

williver, Apr 7, 2020
  5. williver

DarylMc

Are you expecting the PACA to work as a CBus interface and operate its program at the same time?

DarylMc, Apr 7, 2020
  6. williver

williver

no. but when I disconnect from the PACA after having used it as a CBUS interface the PACA is left in an unusable state and does not operate its programs correctly

williver, Apr 8, 2020
  7. williver

DarylMc

Its been a long time since I used a PACA.
    When you select "Connect To C-Bus" you are running the schedule program from the PICED software on the PC not from the PACA.
    Then if you disconnect from CBus I would expect the schedule program to stop.

DarylMc, Apr 8, 2020
  8. williver

Wonkey

Are you disconnecting your USB lead after you closed PICED or Toolkit.
    Colin

Wonkey, Apr 8, 2020
  9. williver

williver

williver, Apr 8, 2020
  10. williver

williver

the Scheduler is running on the PACA when I disconnect PICED from c-Bus, the scheduler stops running on PACA until I restart PICED and reset the PACA. Then it starts running again (on the PACA)

williver, Apr 8, 2020
  11. williver

williver

Hi, no I'm not disconnecting the cable. I need to stay connected because (as described in one of my test cases) I need to then Connect To Unit so that I can do a transfer of changes to unit.
    The more I think about this, it seems to be the PACA is not disconnecting cleanly or completely from C-Bus. Software issue maybe?

williver, Apr 8, 2020
  12. williver

Wonkey

Hi
    There are a few question above you have not answered, in particular Ashley asked,

Make sure you close Cgate when closing Toolkit (toolkit has an option for this). Also, make sure you haven't installed Cgate as a service if you are using the PAC as an interface as it will keep running in the background.

To quickly check this, does a command prompt open and close when you open and close Toolkit, if not then you are running cgate as a service, make sure Piced is closed when doing this.

You also mentioned that you are not disconnecting the cable as you need to do other things.
    would it be possible to just disconnect the USB cable and see what happens.

Post the answers and it will help the group direct you to solve your problem.

Also there is a LEDs on the PACA that tell you if the logic is running and another one showing when USB comms take place, have a look to see what they are indicating. The installation instructions explain the functions
    Colin

Wonkey, Apr 9, 2020
  13. williver

williver

Hi there Wonkey. I answered all the questions.
    In my second post I said that I have stopped the C-Gate service and set it to manual. I have continued to ensure that it is not running and have now disabled it.
    Yes a command prompt opens and cgate is running in console mode as evidenced in the 'launcher.txt' log file.

When I exit PICED C-Gate closes. I have confirmed this by inspecting the running processes in Windows. At this stage, the PACA indicator light shows there is unit comms but the status light is not on and the PACA programs not running.

If I disconnect the cable, the PACA status light comes back on (it is off while I am connected to C-bus in PICED) and the PACA continues to operate as expected.

The problem would appear to be with the C-Gate program not closing the port in Windows properly. When I remain in PICED (after disconnecting from C-Bus) and attempt to Connect To Unit, I get a 'PurgeComm Failed' message and told the port is being used by another application.

williver, Apr 10, 2020
  14. williver

Wonkey

Sorry for any misunderstanding only trying to do my bit to help
    You mentioned
    'So in a nutshell, after I access C-Bus either via PICED or Toolkit, my PACA seems left in an unstable state which then requires a reset. With toolkit I have closed network and cgate.'

I seem to remember at some point in my many years of being involved with C-Bus that you needed to disconnect the PACA to get the Logic engine running again. You shouldn't need to do a reset which was what confusing me, you have clarified that in you last post is not the case.
    So I dug out a PACA on put it on my test network and sure enough the logic engine does not run after you have connected to it with PICED or Toolkit until you remove the cable.
    Colin

Wonkey, Apr 10, 2020
  15. williver

williver

Thanks Colin. you're a legend. and yes, I've just been experimenting with different things. I can see now that I DON'T need to reset PACA. Just pulling out the cable is enough. Now I know I'm not doing anything wrong, I can just work the the constraints that exist. Cheers

williver, Apr 10, 2020
  16. williver

jboer

Just thought it worth noting that the PICED help does say that you need to remove the cable when using a C-Touch as an interface, but doesnt mention using a PAC. From what I know the back end (and software) of a PAC and a B&W C-Touch are basically the same so the PAC not self resetting till the cable is removed is understandable.

" Follow the above steps to connect to C-Bus. C-Touch will display a message that it is in PC Interface Mode. When you have finished, remove the cable, and C-Touch will reset itself.
    Note that you will not be able to use C-Touch while it is being used as a PC Interface."

jboer, Apr 10, 2020
    williver likes this.
Ask a Question