toggle/dimming function for multiple blocks

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by reece m, Sep 10, 2009.

1. reece m

reece m

hi all,

previously it was impossible to accurately control multiple groups from a single button if any of these groups were controlled elsewhere, as the 'toggle' microfunction would literally toggle whichever state that group was currently in and flip-flopping would occur. however, it appears in the latest installment of toolkit (1.10.6) and with the use of the newly released 2000 series switches firmware that there has been some progress in this field. i say 'some' because it is still not perfect.

i tested a single button slimline switch, with the new firmware, programmed to control 4 group addresses concurrently. i had a second 4 gang switch controlling each group individually. when all addresses are on (or off) the single button will toggle them with no issue, as expected. when 1 of the groups were on and the single button was pressed the others would come on. so far so good.

i did run into some issues when the 4th group was on with the others off, and this is where i started to get confused. up until this point of the test it would have appeared that the toggle function would replicate the last known state of any of the controlled groups. however, with the 4th group scenario mentioned above, when the single button was pressed the others did not come on. instead the 4th group turned off.

there were more and more increasingly bizarre, and apparently random, actions occurring when 2 groups were in opposite states to the other 2 and when i changed the function of the buttons to dimmers, let's just say i didn't expect to see disco lights on my test bench ;)

is there any scope in future releases of toolkit/firmware versions to have this working perfectly? as i said, some progress has been made which is great, but this operation still has its flaws. if anyone knows a workaround i'm all ears.

cheers,

reece.

reece m, Sep 10, 2009
  2. reece m

ashleigh Moderator

Yes.

You should find it works fine in all but the 2000 series / slimline that you used - and that one in new firmware coming soon will be sorted out as well.

Neo, Saturn, Reflection, and the new 30Mech all have this working fine - in the case or Neo, Sat, Refl, its been working fine for about the last 2 or more years.

ashleigh, Sep 10, 2009
  3. reece m

reece m

thanks ashleigh.

would you be able to post up the firmware versions for Neo, Saturn, Reflection, 2000/Slimline and the 30 Mechs which have this capability?

cheers,

reece.

reece m, Sep 10, 2009
  4. reece m

Don

The change was made at firmware version 1.5.00. Some NEO units were made with 1.4.00, but all Saturn units should have the feature.

While it may appear random, there is a logic to the way this works:

If a number of groups are in a number of different states, but are being controlled by a single toggle ( or memory toggle) button, the toggle function can only be applied to some of the groups, so that at the end of one press, all groups wind up in the same state.

The unit always attempts to make the toggle function apply to the group state bing indicated by the LED on the key being pressed. If the button is configured without an associated indicator, then the last group that has an indicator enabled in the unit will be chosen to toggle states, or failing this, just the last group. Thus, if buttons 1,2 and 3 all work together, control groups KITCHEN, DINING and LOUNGE respectively and all have indicators enabled but the indicator of the button being pressed corresponds to the state of the KITCHEN group, then the state of the KITCHEN group will change, but the state of DINING or LOUNGE groups will only change if they were in the same state as the KITCHEN group to start with.

make sense?

Don, Sep 10, 2009
  5. reece m

ashleigh Moderator

That change Don refers to is... the change to bring them all into line. After that they will all be in line, and stay there.

ashleigh, Sep 10, 2009
Ask a Question