Tinny sound from amplifier

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Damaxx, May 30, 2009.

1. Damaxx

Damaxx

Hope someone can help me out.

I have installed a matrix switch and a couple of remote amps through my house but I am having trouble with the amp installed in the kitchen. The sound it produces it very tinny and if there is a heavy bass in the song, the bass distorts even on the lowest levels.

I have checked and reset all bass / treble levels to default, checked and replaced speakers, replaced the speaker cable and even swapped the amplifer with another one I had in the house. I have tested the cat 5e between the matrix and the amp with a cat 5e tester and it was fine also.

The only options I can see I have left are to try a different zone on the matrix and to replace the cat 5e between the matrix and the amp........

Is there something that is obvious that I am missing?
    The only thing that is different between this configaration and the rest of my amps is that this amp is remote from the matrix with cat5e run through the roof and my other amps are done with patch leads direct from the matrix to the amp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Damaxx, May 30, 2009
  2. Damaxx

Frank Mc Alinden

Just a guess

Does it have its own power supply ??? If not do a serach through this section im sure theres a link to the amp power supply...

HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, May 30, 2009
  3. Damaxx

Damaxx

I have tried it with and without the power supply Frank, but thanks for the post.

Just one of them faults that has me stumped. As I say, the only thing thats still consistant in the setup is that the matrix is remote from the amp......??:confused::confused:

Damaxx, May 31, 2009
  4. Damaxx

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Damaxx

If possible install it next to your other amps/switcher and try it....if you still have issues then it looks like the remote amp has issues.....Using the same speakers for all amps ???

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, May 31, 2009
  5. Damaxx

Damaxx

First set was the same as the rest of the speakers in my house. I replaced them because I thought that the misses may had overdriven them before they had a chance to be worn in! The new set I spent a bit more coin on looking for longevity. I swapped that amp with one I had beside the matrix for another zone to test if it was the amp and the new amp produced the same fault. I am starting to wonder if its the zone channel I am using on the matrix switch.

I am going to try and replace the cat5e between the matrix and the amp tommorrow and perhaps shift it to another zone on the matrix.

Thanks again for your sugestions Frank.

Damaxx, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question