TICA V2 beta

Discussion in 'Telephone Interface (CBTI) and TICA' started by Darren Hunter, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Darren Hunter

Darren Hunter

Hi all

I have just downloaded the TICA V2 beta and tried to run it.
    It installed fine and running the Tica.exe doesn't do anything.
    The exe starts and runs the cpu hard for 30-40 secs (as seen in the Task MAnager) but no User Interface appears and the program exits.

I have Toolkit 1.1.6 running and connected to my network (via CNI). Both Piced and Homegate work well via the Toolkit (note: they are not running when I try to start TICA V2.

Also Tica 1.1.7 never started either.

Thanks for any help.

Darren

Darren Hunter, Jun 16, 2005
  2. Darren Hunter

Richo

Hmmm, interesting. Not sure what could cause that. Do you have a firewall that could be blocking Tica from connecting to C-Gate. If you have XP with SP2 then you will have a firewall.

Richo, Jun 16, 2005
  3. Darren Hunter

Darren Hunter

YEs I'm Win XP Pro SP2 with Firewall enabled. Could this be the cause as both Homegate 2.6 and Piced 3.1 can communicate to the CBus network.
    Do you know what port TICA communicates on?

Happy to try disabling firewall

Tried disabling firewall - no better
    Tried adding Tica.exe to exception list in firewall (as C-Bus Toolkit already is) - no better

Don't think it is firewall - anything else it could be looking for?

thanks
    Darren

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2005
  4. Darren Hunter

Richo

The Firewall only affects comms between Tica/HomeGate/Piced and C-Gate. (Or a CNI, but you aren't using one).

You have to make sure that the firewall you are using allows Tica to act as a client and allows Java to act as a server (C-Gate is a java application).

In hindsight, since your other applications are having no problems talking to C-Gate that means C-Gate is configured OK. With the inbuilt Windows Firewall you don't need to open access for client applications (Tica) so everything should work. (Some 3rd party firewalls need you to open access for clients).

Try diabling the firewall and see if that makes a difference, although I suspect it won't.

I'm not sure why you are having this problem and may need to get you a special build of Tica to diagnose the issue.

Does the splash screen show at all?

Richo, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Darren Hunter

Darren Hunter

Tried disabling Firewall - no better
    I am using a CNI - working well with Toolkit / Homegate / Piced

No - I don't even see a splash screen - nothing. Runs cpu hard (100% for about 30secs then dies.

thanks for helping

darren

6. Darren Hunter

Richo

Ah ha! I think I know what it is. You don't have a sound card in the PC do you? I recall trying to track this problem down on a test machine here on a much earlier version of Tica. In the end it turned out to be that the machine had no sound card causing Tica to fail as it needs certain parts of Windows related to sound card to process the audio used for the CBTI.

If this is the case, obviously I never managed to work around the problem. Can you confirm if you have a sound card installed?

Richo, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Darren Hunter

Darren Hunter

Thanks Richo

I'm using a laptop and it have onboard sound support - Realtek AC'97 Audio. I can play DVD's and have 4 speaker support + SubWoofer.

Does program check for audio before splash screen?

Not sure if you are an 'admin' here but I posted a C-Touch question in General forum - can it be moved.

Thanks
    Darren

8. Darren Hunter

Richo

Damn .. was sorting hoiping that was the problem. The software relies on audio functionality and Windows trys to load that functionality when my program is loaded and this causes the problem. It is difficult to work around and requires low level skull duggery.

Yes I am. I have moved it for you.

Richo, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Darren Hunter

Darren Hunter

thanks for moving post

I'm happy to try a 'debug' version of Tica if thats an option

10. Darren Hunter

Richo

If it's not too much trouble could you do a test for me.

Download the software http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends21_x86.zip from this website http://www.dependencywalker.com

It is a simple "debugger" that may capture useful information about what is happening during loading of Tica.

A) Extract the files form the zip and run the application "depends.exe".

B) Select File|Open from the menu and browse to and select the Tica executable file. C:\CLIPSAL\Tica2Beta\Tica.exe

C) Select the menu options Profile|Start profiling

D) Check all the checkboxes on the dialog, EXCEPT "Automatically open and profile child processes"

E) press OK.

Now the program will try and run Tica. I suppose after 30 seconds or so the log window will eventually show "Exited "c:\clipsal\tica2beta\TICA.EXE"" with some other info.

Once this happens do the following:

A) Select File|Save As ... browse to a folder on you computer that you can find again, enter enter the name Tica.dwi and press save.

B) Email me the Tica.dwi you just saved. You have my email address from our correspondence earlier today (Anthony Richardson)

Richo, Jun 16, 2005
  11. Darren Hunter

Richo

I have received the file, thanks for that Darren. Discussion taken to email, will post here when the issue is resolved.

Richo, Jun 17, 2005
  12. Darren Hunter

Darren Hunter

Resolved

Thanks to Richo's advice in using Depandency Walker to trace the startup of the exe I was able to find it was a ULead common file (MPEGACM) causing the problem. I uninstalled the ULead software (was only a demo copy anyway). Removing that file enabled the Tica.exe to load properly.

Thanks
    Darren

Darren Hunter, Jun 19, 2005
  13. Darren Hunter

Richo

Excellent news Darren.

Richo, Jun 19, 2005
Ask a Question