Thermostat & Wiser - Zone Control from DLT & wiser schedule

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petere, Feb 10, 2013.

1. petere

petere

Hello,
    Sorry if this is not in the right forum topic ? but seems to overlap a few?

I have been trying for a little while to get a heating control system working in
    C-Bus. I would appreciate it very much if anyone can clarify a few points for me. Sorry this is going to be a long message but I will try to explain clearly.

I am trying to use a 4 zone thermostat (5070THP) with some remote sensors (5031RDTSL), setup details below, and have been having some trouble getting the overall behaviour that the end customer wants.

Basically I need to be able to turn zones on the thermostat on and off via lighting groups or similar, such that a DLT button, or part of a scene, can enable heating in part of the building ? and I might then use wiser schedules to turn the zones on and off as well rather than the inbuilt thermostat programmes.

But I really need it to be clear on the thermostat screen what is going on, so ideally the little ticks next to each zone will show what is enabled and allow local override.

I have been testing with some of the groups in the thermostat config and wanted to clarify exactly what each one did and work out the best way to use them ? please do tell me where I have misunderstood:

Remote setback:-
    It seems as if I could something like the behaviour I am looking for by remotely enabling and disabling setback for each individual zone ? however this is not really ideal, it?s not visible whether its enabled or not on a zone by zone basis on the screen of the thermostat and it?s not shown on the wiser widget for the thermostat.

<Remote setback enable group>
    e.g. If I set level [Set: Remote setback Enable = d014 (Setbk Enable Zones:1,2,3)] then setback should be enabled for Zone 1,2 and 3. I assume Zone 4 is left in whatever its previous state was?

<Remote setback disable group>
    e.g. ? I assume it works the same way as the enable group but in reverse
    If I set level [Set: Remote setback disable = d014 (Setbk Disable Zones:1,2,3)] then setback should be enabled for Zone 1,2 and 3. And again I assume Zone 4 is left at whatever its previous state was?

Remote Schedule:-
    I am assuming though that a better way to get the behaviour that we want is via the Remote Schedule groups. However I can?t really 100% understand what these are doing (and the help files don?t seem to make it much clearer).

<Remote schedule enable group>
    This group appears to switch the thermostat from ?MANUAL? to ?PROGRAM?, I?m guessing only for the zones selected (although you can?t tell this from the thermostats screen ? it seems to show ?PROGRAM? if any zones are controlled by the program ? but you can?t tell which!

e.g. starting with the thermostat in ?MANUAL? mode, and then set level [Set: Remote schedule enable group = d002 (Schedule Enable Zone 2)] then the thermostat goes into ?PROGRAM? mode and I assume zone 2 is being managed by the programmed times and temperatures in the thermostat ? but other zones are still using whatever the manual temperature setting was???

<Remote schedule disable group>
    Similar to the setback disable group I assume this allows zones to be set back to ?MANUAL? mode.

e.g. starting with the thermostat how it was after the previous test (with Zone 2 in program mode)
    [Set: Remote schedule disable group = d002 (Schedule Disable Zone 2)] then the thermostat goes into ?MANUAL? mode and I assume all zones are again following the manual temperature setting.

<Remote schedule override group>
    I can?t really figure out exactly what this group is doing. I assume the following:

With the thermostat in ?PROGRAM? Mode (all zones following programmed temperatures at the programmed times).

[Set: Remote Schedule Override = d004 (Sched Overrd Zone:2)]

I am guessing that this would enable zone 2 if it was not enabled by the program ? and that zone 2 would then follow whatever temperature was set by the program. ? When I do this though the little tick on tick on the thermostat screen for zone 2 does not come on? Should the zone un-override when the next program time comes?

As there is no Remote Schedule Override Unset group I assume that this doesn?t work like a mask like the setback enable /disable and the remote schedule enable/disable groups and I have to set all zones I want overriding in one command ? Does it follow that: [Set: Remote Schedule Override = d004 (Sched Overrd Zone:2)] would in fact un-override all zones except zone 2 ? and sending d000 would override all groups?

So to use the override group really you would have to write logic in wiser to do work out which zones overrides are needed and send a single command.

e.g. there could be 4 lighting groups, one for each zone ? when something sets or un-sets these wiser would look at the state of all 4 of them and work out what to set the Remote Schedule Override group to.

Communication Group:-
    I noticed that the wiser climate control widget can enable and disable each zone on the wiser exactly as I would like to from a DLT ? when this is done the following message is sent on CBUS:

DateTime= 10/02/2013 16:07:37 App= 172 Air Conditioning Group= 001 Communication Group 1 Unit= 025 PC_CNICI/US-WISER Event= HVAC operating type: Zones = 4; Plant equipment = None; Mode = Off; Flags = Temperature unit is ?C, Setback disabled, Guard enabled; Set Point = 0.0?C;

Is there a relatively easy way I can send this type of message from WISER logic ? maybe setup a lighting group that when it?s changed would send the above communication group message?

Finally a few more questions:-
    Can the power button on the thermostat be deactivated? ? or controlled via a c-bus group ? or would this involve creating a communication group message as well?

It seems that even though it?s a 4 zone thermostat ? really it can only have one temperature set point for all its zones ? is this the case? ? I guess I can set some fixed variation between the zones by adjusting the offsets in the temperature sensors, is this the best way?

Is there any way to adjust the program ? rather than via the thermostat screen (frustrating that you can?t do it in toolkit)?

I wonder if I just have a Friday version of the thermostat ? but the wheel is so sensitive it?s virtually impossible to click it without also turning it and missing what you want to click on?? Does anyone else experience this or am I just being inept?

Thanks to anyone for sticking with this post and reading through ? as I say ay pointers would be much appreciated and save me allot of time testing!

Many thanks. Pete

System Setup:-
    4 Zone Thermostat 5070THP Firmware: 1.22.0
    Operating Type: Heat only
    Plant Equipment: Furnace (Gas, Oil, Electric)

Only the damper groups are used to control any plan as follows as there is no central equipment (each zone is completely independent)

Un-switched zone > not used

Zone 1 > Uses internal thermostat sensor, damper group controls relay for single stage boiler.

Zone 2 > Uses remote 5031RDTSL, damper group controls relay for electric under floor heating.
    <not currently connected>

Zone 3 > Uses remote 5031RDTSL, damper group controls relay for electric under floor heating.
    <not currently connected>

Zone 4 > Uses remote 5031RDTSL, damper group controls relay for electric heater.

<Network also has Wiser, a second network CNI + numerous dimmers, DLTs and reflection switches>

petere, Feb 10, 2013
Ask a Question