The future is.....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phoneman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Phoneman

Phoneman

So here is a tough question to be asking on a CBUS Forum but do you guys think the end is nigh for CBus?

Activity on the forum has certainly died off since I lurked in the shadows several years ago and it just feels like Schneider are not interested in progressing the product much further. Sure they release the odd unit but it is seeming more like a last gasp than an invigoration of the range.

Silly things like still not easily being able to update the unit firmware and the Toolbox Interface is so 80's (reliable as that may be).

I am in the early stages of planning my next home and can't help but wonder if the old go to of CBus has had its day.

I can well appreciate that many here live and breath at 9600 bauds but what about the rest of the industry, Control4 and Crestron have their own modules and KNX seems to be a Schneider staple around the world.

Thoughts?

Phoneman, Apr 20, 2019
    Conformist likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Phoneman

Conformist

Interesting post. If you'd asked this question 6 month ago, I would have said not sure. Now, i think the future is a bit brighter. There's a lot of internal politics within Schneider Electric (SE). Without disclosing too much, several years ago, a lot of the engineering and product development was changed to report back to Europe and was driven from there. This was bloody frustrating with lots of discussions about developments such as C-Bus. In recent months, the landscape changed (again). Engineering and product development for Australia is back in Australia. This means a lot of the decisions about local products are back where proper, informed people are calling the shots. Whilst I no longer work for SE, I'm pretty sure this will help to get some great products happening again.
    C-Bus turns 25 years old this year in August. Whilst SE in Europe love their KNX at least the destiny of the local (and IMHO better) system is back in the hands of people who know what they are doing.

Conformist, Apr 21, 2019
    fleetz, Damaxx and Phoneman like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Phoneman

MarkB

I find it very disappointing that C-Bus has been neglected so much, and this is coming from an end user who until a few months ago didn't have any idea what it was.
    I started researching home automation while planning a new house build and came to the conclusion that ALL of the wireless systems are hit and miss. I want a system that I don't have to make excuses for. Don't want to have to explain to the family and visitors how to use it and why it might be slow to respond or sometimes not even work...

So, I investigated every wired automation system I could find (including KNX, Control4, Savant, etc.) and still settled on a 25 year old Australian developed and thoroughly neglected product. Just goes to show much potential C-Bus has (or had?)... :(

MarkB, Apr 21, 2019
    Conformist likes this.
  4. Phoneman

Phoneman

You are absolutely right Mark, CBus is like a couple of Aussie Tennis players we know of, so much potential if only they could believe in themselves and didn't fall for the BS.

More years ago than I care to remember I was urging Clipsal to offer some ridiculous (loss leading) entry level packages to every builder (like a 12 Channel Relay and 12 pre programmed (ch1 on ch1 off) single switches for $500 or even better with say a movement detector for just $150) just to ensure the CBus topography became ubiquitous. The builders could have offered it as a "smart home automation package" in their deal and any builder not offering it would have been viewed as behind the game!

The most basic home wired this way could have presented and would have continued to present so many upsell opportunities for Electricians and Integrators and over time demand for other units would have continued to grow as the nappy valley became middle Australia!

Alas, Clipsal wanted CBus to be high end and special, elite even, a decision that has led us to this point!

For now those like myself that have invested in what really is a solid and reliable product are left trying to hold it together waiting for the inevitable.

Is there any hope? I am not sure, but I know one thing for sure, before I build our next home, I have a lot of thinking to do!

Phoneman, Apr 21, 2019
    Conformist likes this.
  5. Phoneman

gte242

All

Hope so as I am also fairly new and cgose the product on the fact:
    1. Love the EDT switches.
    2. Saturn range.
    3. No wireless.
    4. I saw investment in 2017.
    5. Solid bus system.

Curently installing in my house in Poland. The problem with SE is it is too big and they not hitting right market.

Gareth

gte242, Apr 22, 2019
    jboer and Conformist like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question