temperature control with wall switches?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by robs electrical solutions, Aug 1, 2010.

1. robs electrical solutions

robs electrical solutions

Is it possible to send a simple ?set temperature to x? to a thermostat from a wall switch such as the neo? I have not been successful in doing this.

Here?s the scenario?

The programmable thermostat (master only, no slaves) sets the evening temp to 20 deg. At midnight it is scheduled to go down to 16 deg. At 11:00pm I go to bed but wish to reduce the temp so (in theory) I pick up my remote control, aim it at the neo wall switch, press a button and it sets the temp to 16 deg.

The best I have been able to determine is that it has something to do with the ?heating override? network variable in the ?enable control? application, but I am unable to set a temp level for that variable. The secondary app was set to ?enable control? and the key press sets the thermostat into override mode, but I cannot set a new temperature.

Anyone got any ideas?

robs electrical solutions, Aug 1, 2010
  2. robs electrical solutions

Conformist

Hi Rob

Do you have any devices that support logic?

Conformist, Aug 1, 2010
  3. robs electrical solutions

ashleigh Moderator

The programmable thermostat has a built in scheduler that you can set up using the front panel control (not toolkit tho).

Its designed for what you want to do - time based changing of settings. Check it out.

It won't do things by command from a remote or Neo but it will do time based.

Alternatively, you could activate and deactivate SETBACK which is designed to relax the temperature set points (and you can adjust how much in TK).

You can activate and deactivate SETBACK using bus commands, and should be able to do that from your neo / remote.

ashleigh, Aug 1, 2010
  4. robs electrical solutions

Conformist ? nope, no logic devices yet. Maybe in future though.

Ashley ? I know about the scheduling, done it already.

I?ll add more info to make my needs clearer. It will be set to 20 deg at 07:20 and then 16 deg at 00:00, 7 days a week with the alarm turning off the heater when we?re out. On the rare occasion we go to bed early, say 23:00, then 20 deg is too hot so I?m looking for a quick easy way to set it to 16 deg from the bed. That?s preferable to manual setting at the thermostat or having to install another thermostat in the bedroom. I don?t think setback would be suitable for this application (please tell me if I?m wrong!) because if the 20 deg is set back 4 deg (which is fine) then at 00:00 the 16 deg would also be set back to 12. COLD! I was looking for a way to send an override command and set to 16 deg.

I've been experimenting with the enable, disable and override controls but it ain't working. Am I going down the wrong path, or is it simply not possible?

robs electrical solutions, Aug 2, 2010
  5. robs electrical solutions

Darren Senior Member

It is unlikely you will be able to do this easily without using logic. Do you have a C-Touch Mark 2?

Darren, Aug 2, 2010
  6. robs electrical solutions

no c-touch either. when i get one though it will be installed in loungeroom anyway.

for those that may be interested in trying to achieve the same thing, i have discovered an obscure and limited way of making this work.

i assigned 3 spare buttons in bedroom to secondary app enable control and to heating "enable", "disable" and "override". and they need to be bell press. fyi i am using only the unswitched zone. at the thermostat go to manual mode and then change the temp to 16 deg, then change back to scheduled mode.

in the bedroom when you press "disable" it puts the thermo into manual mode and it reverts to the last manually set temp which was 16 deg. now press "override" and it puts the thermo back into scheduled mode but with an override at 16 deg. then in the morning when you wake up just press "enable" and it goes back to normal scheduling.

not perfect but it'll do for now.

thanx for eveyone's help.

robs electrical solutions, Aug 3, 2010
  7. robs electrical solutions

ashleigh Moderator

Hi Rob

If you don't use the scheduler, and instead just use setback, then you can change the amount by which setback relaxes the margins (temp regulation) in toolkit.

Then you can use cbus commands to activate setback, and do that using a (modern) key switch (probably... this might need some checking), logic engine, or touchscreen.

I *think* [not 100% sure] that you can use the scheduler to change the time of day at which setback switches in and out. If thats the case then you would set it on the scheduler, and then override it from the external device.

Setback is not cumulative (in other words, if you manually activate setback at 11pm. and the schedule tries to activate it again at midnight, it won't relax the temp regulation twice, it will just say "oh, its already relaxed" and effectively THAT schedule action will do nothing).

I think that one way or another setback is the key to the solution of your problem, its just a matter of how you activate it.

ashleigh, Aug 3, 2010
Ask a Question