Telling difference between L5508D1A and L5508D1AP

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ashley W, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Ashley W

Ashley W

Lets say you go to your garage and you pick up a 'spare' dimmer, look at it and it has the part number L5508D1A written on the label and also printed on the plastic, how can you tell if it has a power supply or not?

Common sense would say if it was L5508D1A it would have a power supply and if it say L5508D1AP no power supply.

But in my garage I have 3 such dimmers, all with L5508D1A written on the label and printed on the case. One has screen printing on the front that says power supply included, one says no power supply and the 3rd has no screen printing what so ever. All 3 are the darker blue model (as opposed to the teal), so what is the go? How do I tell if the 3rd dimmer has a power supply or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
    Ashley W, Jul 11, 2015
  2. Ashley W

bmerrick

Hi Ashley,

This is not the 'Clipsal officially sanctioned' way, just my method. I agree the earlier ones without screen printing were not always easy to discern as part codes were ambiguous. As a last resort, you can always plug it into a C-Bus and Toolkit will tell you.

As for my method, look into the little 'Window' to the right of the left hand Active/Load screw hole. If you see a big black AC capacitor, it it a unit with power supply. If you see down to circuit board with empty round patches where that capacitor goes, it is a unit without power supply.

A further confirmation is that the same 'window' (ie windows 2) on the lower side of the unit has a small silver top of an electrolytic Capacitor there, the one without supply once again just has the bare circuit board.

All the best,

Brad

bmerrick, Jul 13, 2015
  3. Ashley W

Ashley W

Interesting, thanks for that. Will have a look and see what I have.

Ashley W, Jul 13, 2015
Ask a Question