Telephone Interface will not work with answering machines

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by PSC, Nov 21, 2004.

1. PSC

Nathan

Tica Problems

Im with you Psc I have tried 5 sites now with Tica and the first three work fine with old telstra answering machine and the other two were lucky to have a dedicated line, they were programmed with v1.10 and have had no dramas.
    Then we got two more and used 1.11 and have had none of them working with any of our nokia mobile phones 5110, 5140, 3120, or can get them working on a answering machine.

I found that the first time the answering machine will work then the second ring in it grabs the line and locks it up and wont release it for a minute.

I also found that if I disconnect the answering machine I get to the Id password stage and it hangs up on me at random times with various phones.

Another time a got through the id password stage then it sounded like the voice recording was slowing to a stop and would then hang up.

I have tried this at several sites and several projects but cant get nothing that works.

The customer is getting annoyed now and so am I can someone sort this problem out???? :confused:

Nathan, Dec 19, 2004
  2. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

I'm working on this right now.

Answering machines issue has been referred to the manufacturer of the modem IC used in the CBTI.

Mobile phones issue has been tested with a range of about 10 phones, with about 5 known to work and about 5 known not to work. The modem appears to be doing the right thing and reporting the DTMF.

Why it is dropping the calls is still a mystery - lots of firmware to wade through, and I did not write it :mad:

Please accept our apologies, we are doing all we can. Answering machines issue is *not* likely to have quick resolution, the modem manufacturer has historically been quite slow to respond.

If a mircale occurs I *may* find why the mobiles are dropping out before Christmas :)

ashleigh, Dec 20, 2004
  3. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

For those who find the line help for 1 minute after hangup: this is normal. I guess you want the period reduced?

Can you also confirm, who is the Telco provider?

If Telstra, then the hangup *should* be detected causing the CBTI to release the line. Other carriers might not send the busy signal when the remote end hangs up.

Remote hangup detection is another of those things which is *extremely* difficult to do...

It would help a lot to know answers to the above, ie:

. do you want the period to be shorter (if so, how much?)
    . which telco is being used

Thanks

ashleigh, Dec 20, 2004
  4. PSC

Nathan

Tica Problems

Telstra were the carriers on all occassions except our trials in the office which was through a pabx analogue ext with still the same problem.

Hang up time would be preferred about 15 sec.

Also some other Additional Tica changes would be welcomed for eg

Can we get a range of inputs for each lighting device such as a swicth gui as on/off doesnt cut it for dial in control especially when most customers reqiure pulse triggering for A/C, Security Systems, Garage Doors and access control. If we could get a pulse or timer trigger this would save us having to trigger CA group adresses that trigger scenes in Schedule or Ctouch and then having to reset the trigger group adress to give status updates.

If you could also change the report style status acknowlegdement from just on/off or percentage to Open / Closed or even ability to add active voice and inactive voice for report style

The Menu to number command (ie press 1 for this 2 for that) doesnt keep regular format through the different modes so if you are getting formilar to jump ahead it changes through various menus.

And finally the library needs to be extended a little even if you can email a suggested library adds and import them as you need. I need words like Spa,Deck,veranda,audio,bar,watering,sprinkler,hello,sorry,we,are,moment,later,will,be,with,outside,pump,table,games,area,party,scene,multi,letter box,run,running,heating,cool,and cooling just to name a few.

Last one is to change the ring in time to over 3 rings say up to 10

One last grouch I just recieved another wireless gateway and the Learn dip switch wasnt soldered down so it wouldnt learn so I repaired it and I know it voids warranty but shoudnt this be picked up in QA testing??? :confused:

Hope this helps

Nathan, Dec 20, 2004
  5. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

OK, thanks. (Try this - get somebody to call you, and when they hang up, make sure you do not. You should hear the engaged signal). So when the remote party hangs up, the CBTI should detect this busy tone and also hang up. The 1 minute timeout is there in case the hangup is not detected. In some countries the Telstra behaviour does not exist, so it has to work this way anyhow.

If I reduce the timeout period, you will see that for no activity (if you don't key any DTMF to the unit for 15 seconds) it will hang up. In the event that remote hangup is not notified by the exchange, the only other alternative is an inactivity timeout....

Doing 15 seconds won't be too hard... We shut down here for Christmas after COB Wednesday, so I won't be able to have a firmware / TICA update for you until about mid Jan. Hope that will be OK.

Some of this is targeted to a future firmware release.

Difficult. I did not write the firmware so this requires a lot more digging and changes.... No promises.

The menu structure has been set up so that it will expand easily for future changes (eg adding scene triggering).

There have been a number of requests for new words. We plan on adding support so you can add/change words in future. However are not currently planning to updatethe current libraries. We are currently supporting English, Mandarin, Cantonese & Malaysian. All words are studio mastered and then format converted to suit. Its a long and expensive process, and the current word set only just fits into the available memory.

Suggestions are being accumulated and we may do a monster big word library update in future, but again, no promises.

Yep. This one is a pain. Each country imposes different requirements on the number of rings to answer. At the moment we are driven by the need to be compliant everywhere. Plan on changing this the ring limits can become a property of the selected country of installation. Unfortunately, this is far from a trivial change.

Same goes for blind dialling...

Hope to have these addressed either partially or completely in an update early next year.

Sorry about that. Yes, it should have been picked up. It would have been preferable for the unit to be returned so that QA know about it and can track back through the manufacture process. I know its not always convenient to return, though.

If it happens again we want to know about it, because its not good enough to ship items that are not built properly.

ashleigh, Dec 21, 2004
  6. PSC

Richo

Are you saying you notice a difference between programming a CBTI with Tica Version 1.10 and 1.11?

Did you find a change in behaviour between these 2 versions?

Richo, Dec 21, 2004
  7. PSC

Nathan

Programming is nearly indentical between the two versions just different skin and voice styles it was just a weird fact that one site that was programmed V1.10 all our mobiles tried work fine.

Same exchange up the road V1.11 and all our mobiles dont work it just hangs up at random stages but only a few times can we get to the controlling of devices where the voice seems to get distorted then hangs up.

Then I took it back to the office same thing this is off a analogue pabx ext.

The only thing a noticed that was different was a modem firmware update text line happening when the download was being done.

I have one more tica hear new in its box any sugestions????

Nathan, Dec 21, 2004
  8. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

Here is a late update before Christmas.

It *looks* like some mobile phones do have lousy DTMF generators, and the effect of this is that the CBTI detects what it thinks is a BUSY (ie engaged) signal interspersed amongst the DTMF.

The moment it sees what it thinks of as BUSY, it hangs up.

The plan, after returning from the Christmas silly season, is to try and change the code to make it look for several busy indications in a row, and to generally fiddle the modem driver code to make the DTMF / busy detection a bit more robust.

There won't be any more progress here until early January, and depending onthe number of crises that spring up there *might* be a cure by about the end of Jan.

Sorry about the delay on this, its not code I wrote and I'm having some difficulty understanding what it does. But I'm getting there...

If possible, I'll roll in some of the other changes that have been asked for also, but more on that when or if its known what I can do.

ashleigh, Dec 23, 2004
  9. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

Another update.

I'm making progress on some fixes!

I've figured out what to do about the mobile phones.

I've figured out PART of what to do about the issues of holding the line after a call (need more info to turn this into a really good fix).

I reckon I can sort out the Telstra / Homemessages 101 / stutter dial tone / blind dialling thing.

I know its taking a while, but as pointed out before, I did not write the firmware in the 5100TAU and its taking me a while to get my head around it.

To get a *really* good set of fixes will still be a few weeks.

Any of you fellas want an interim release that knocks over some of the problems, or do you want to wait a bit longer?

ashleigh, Feb 7, 2005
  10. PSC

marklittlefield

TICA and answering machines

Can anyone tell me if they have successfully install a Telephone interface in line with an answering machine, if so what is the brand and model number of that answering machine. I have a very irate client who has been waiting for a fix for about 4 months.

marklittlefield, Feb 9, 2005
  11. PSC

Richo

Hi Mark,

The CBTI currently works as designed. We are endevouring to change the designed behaviour to make the CBTI more compatiable with a greater range of answering machines, but this is considered a new feature rather than a fix. It looks like it will require sourcing a different modem chip from our suppliers and therefore is a significant change to the product. This means that it may take many months or longer. There is no immediate timeframe to change the current behaviour.

Unfortunately I don't have a compatiability list available.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
    Richo, Feb 10, 2005
  12. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

I have just tested a Uniden 7500AI and it works fine. This is a digital answering machine.

I've done a quick internet search and I *suspect* (though don't have any to test) that pretty much any digital answering machine with 2-way voice recording will be OK or can be set up to be OK. There are a few brands readily available.

ashleigh, May 24, 2005
  13. PSC

ashleigh Moderator

Oh yeah - and all being well we should have a new TICA Beta out in about 2 weeks, all going well....

ashleigh, May 24, 2005
  14. PSC

Caroline Springs

Summary of problems with Telephone Interface

Ashleigh,

I'm about to install a Telephone interface in my project and I see that there is a list of problems known and kind of known posted by different people in different situations.

Given that this is an expensive device, I would like to see a list of the current problems that have been reported. So, I'll be aware of them, install and purchase additional components accordingly. For example, is there any problem with PABX systems? what is it? But please don't answer this single example, help me with the problems I will be facing.

Thanks,
    Oscar.

Caroline Springs, Jun 7, 2005
  15. PSC

Richo

Hi,

A list of some of the problem that have been fixed in Tica 2.0 (CBTI firmware 6.0) is here http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1129 . This version of Tica will be available soon as a Public Beta.

Tica V2.0 (CBTI firmware 6.0) fixed most known issues with the CBTI.

The only outstanding issue (that I'm aware of) that may cause problems is how the CBTI does DTMF snooping. This has been documented well on this forum, but basically can be summerised as the CBTI needs to actually pickup the line to snoop DTMF tones. This snooping is for 2 purposes:
    - Detecting Local Access code entry (either from local handset or whilst a user is dialled in)
    - Recording the phone number that someone is dialling, this is then published on C-Bus for other devices to consume if they want.

The problem with the CBTI having to pickup the phone line to do this is some other devices *may* react to this pickup. This can be a problem with *some* answering machines that decide the user has answered the call and therefore stops recording messages. This can be avoided by using a compatible answering machine (one that doesn't detect pickups, often marked as a machine that can record conversations). This has also been observed where someone is using a CBTI on the same line as a dialup Internet connection, where the modem detects the pickup and thinks someone is using the phone and won't dial out.

This problem is prevented for *some* users in Tica v2.0 as there is now the ability to turn off detection of Access Code, and therefore the CBTI doesn't do a local pickup. However, this of course, removes the handy feature of being able ot jump into the CBTI whilst dialled in to other devices on the phone line.

This problem is part of the actual design of the modem we use, which is supplied from a 3rd party supplier. Unfortunately they are unwilling to actually change the behaviour, but have given us the source code to the modem so we can fix it ourselves. This however will take quite awhile as the source code is thousands of lines of assembler language which is quite difficult to work with when it's someone elses code. So, basically, we are planning on changing this behaviour, but it will *not* happen soon.

Hope this helps with your evaluation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2005
    Richo, Jun 8, 2005
  16. PSC

Richo

Richo, Jun 10, 2005
Ask a Question