Tecom Challenger - Cbus Integration

Discussion in 'Third-Party Solutions' started by Ginowg, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Ginowg

Ginowg

Has anyone out there been involved in integrating a Tecom Challenger with C-bus via CNI? The Challenger software has C-bus option in its Automation control area with fields for C-bus Group Address, Application Address and function etc. There is also setup for interface IP address and port but it is not working I have combed the internet looking for some setup guide for this but seems no one has done it or its a big secret.

Ginowg

Ginowg, Aug 8, 2022
  2. Ginowg

ssaunders

Not been involved in any way with Challengers, just offering a possibility: The IP address and port could be for for pointing at a C-Gate server and not CNI.

(Actually, looking at a user manual it looks like you point it directly at either an RS232 or Ethernet Network Interface. Is anything else connected to the CNI?)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    ssaunders, Aug 9, 2022
  3. Ginowg

Ginowg

Hi Thanks for replying,
    No, the CNI is only for the Tecom I know the CNI's don't like sharing. I have tested the CNI and made sure it is connecting with the C-bus network etc. The only cliche in the Tecom setup is the mention of the network address which is unusual as most third party integration uses the default network unless you change it. However there terminology in the Tecom software is a little different and the field where I am putting in the network address is labelled something else, cant remember what that is right this min.

Ginowg, Aug 10, 2022
  4. Ginowg

Pc2022

Silly question or answer here.

Will guess the tecom system is connected to a lan via a managed switch/router for external access via the net.

Have you set the ip address of the cni to match that of the tecom unit (range but different adress)?
    Subnet and gateway and Port may also be needed

Assuming you have something on the network managing devices(ip address mac etc) have you added both to the static list(guessing you have access to this)

I have had issues accessing a cni on my home network as my switch was trying to assign it a new ip.

Quick way to check is use a dumb switch (no router or management) to see if you can see the cni

Is there an option with in the tecom to set a destination ip for cbus commands or select ip/rs232.
    Assuming you can set a a group/application/level that the tecom is to send for an event zone sealed/unsealed set up a monetary push button to test the command is being sent.

The last few I have installed I was given the ip adress etc to set then passed on light groups etc as required with relevant details

Pc2022, Aug 11, 2022
  5. Ginowg

Ginowg

Hi,
    Yes I have checked all of that, they are on the same network range have tested the CNI connected to the LAN and all OK. Yes we setup a test sending automation commands from the tecom and no bananas. The new Tecom's no longer support RS232 option for Cbus integration. I don't like using IP personally when I integrate RTI or other 3rd party systems I always use serial. The Cbus CNI can be problematic.
    The Security installer is also managing the network with a Unify gateway I'm thinking is may have something to do with that.

Ginowg, Aug 11, 2022
  6. Ginowg

Pc2022

Unfortunately sounds like the issue may lay with the alarm or set-up of it to send the commands.

Other options could be a bus couple if its only a few things you need to send and some dry contacts from the alarm.

Pc2022, Aug 15, 2022
Ask a Question