Switching issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave..P, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Dave..P

Dave..P

Hi all
    I have an issue with a cbus installation that is approx 10 years old. The light switches are flashing and will not operate intermediately which when I remove the switching supply cable the modules come back to life and can be operated manually! I have done some investigation and it seems that there is not enough power to operate the switching ( at times) and one of the 8 channel dimmers which incorporates a power supply is not operating sporadically. Is there a way of knowing if the dimmers/relays which incorporate a power supply are faulty ,I did a diagnostic check and nothing came up. I have checked the wiring to most of the switches and split the circuit in places which seems to get it going then after a time it goes back into fault mode again.
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks

Dave..P, Aug 17, 2021
  2. Dave..P

Graham Lamb

Hi the flashing led on switches indicates a cbus comms issue caused by low voltage or faulty unit.
    There can be a number of problems with your system first thing to check is the CBus LED on the relays/dimmers/power supplies it should be on steady. if not that unit has problems and needs replacing if all are out there is a problem with one of the power supply units not working correctly or a problem with cbus cabling or faulty switch if any exterior units water may have entered unit. The cbus voltage should be above 20 volts DC (I always like to see 25 V at the lowest point)

Graham Lamb, Aug 18, 2021
  3. Dave..P

Conformist

I do a lot of callouts on system playing up. It's almost always a relay or dimmer' internal power supply that has failed or is intermittently failing. On the relay or dimmer that has a problem, the 'C-Bus' light (bottom indicator on the left of the product) will be either not lit or flickering. When you are having an issue, take a look at your relays/dimmers and see if this indicator is playing up.

Conformist, Aug 18, 2021
  4. Dave..P

Dave..P

Thanks Grayham
    When it goes into fault mode the dimmers/relays all only have one light on. I have removed the potential dimmer but am not sure it is a problem or a fault with the switching circuit.
    Appreciate any advice
    Many thanks

Dave..P, Aug 18, 2021
  5. Dave..P

Dave..P

Dave..P, Aug 18, 2021
  6. Dave..P

Dave..P

Thank you I’ll have a look at the outside sensors but am gearing that the power supply is the issue. Any further advise is much appreciated.
    Many thanks

Dave..P, Aug 18, 2021
  7. Dave..P

Graham Lamb

Just remeber that if you remove one power supply there may not enough power in existing power supplies to support system a rule of thumb is relay/dimmer (with power supply) can support about 10 units and a power supply unit can support about 17 units

Graham Lamb, Aug 19, 2021
  8. Dave..P

Dave..P

Thanks
    It is possible to check the power supply within the dimmer is working!

Dave..P, Aug 19, 2021
  9. Dave..P

Trevor

Hi Dave,
    Do you have a colour touch screen fitted? If so and it has a transmit problem the Tx cct can be pulling down the cbus voltage as well, this can cause all sorts of problems, but mainly no cbus commands being transmitted, but being received ok. If that's the case let me know as i repair these for Arbor Australia on behalf of Clipsal.

regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Aug 26, 2021
  10. Dave..P

Dave..P

Hi Trevor
    No I don’t have a touch screen but thank you for your input. I have ordered a new 1 amp powered dimmer module which I should receive in the next few days so will replace the old one and see what happens ,fingers crossed.
    Many Thanks

Dave..P, Aug 27, 2021
Ask a Question