Sweep Fan control and ctc's

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Kurt, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Kurt

Kurt

Currently in the process of trying to program a ctc up for a house. Took me a while to understand how to program the fan controllers into the dlts and 4 button saturns and have them work properly with the scenes and showing the current levels.

I am now trying to replicate the control and level display on the touch screen.

As my understanding of logic is crap at the best of times, ( due to lack of ever having to use it in the 3 yrs since i did the course) and the scene setup was pretty much done in tool kit, is there an easier way than copying some code from here in the forums and running the logic on the ctc or am i missing something?

ive tried in Piced, from the Button properties, then the cbus tab under key function to use a scene and then create one with teh same name as tool kit, and use the same trigger groups but how do i get it to cycle and show current level like the DLT's? , ive setup a status level to show me whats going on, quite simply ive got nfi. Its either on permanently ( im guessing cause its a scene and its either set on or off)... just feeling slightly stupid atm.

Kurt, Jan 23, 2012
  2. Kurt

Newman

You don't need to resort to using logic to control the Sweep Fan Controllers from the CTC. Everything can be done using the standard functions.

If you want a button that will cycle through the speeds you configure a button to use the Preset Key Function. Assign the Application to Trigger Control, the Group Address to the Trigger Group that goes with the particular Fan, and finally select the Action Selector that makes the speed cycling happen. If you have the button configured to show status on border/background then you'll see the button show as "active" when the fan is on and "inactive" when the fan is off.

If you want to set the discrete speeds, i.e. separate buttons for off/low/med/high then you just place the buttons and configure their Key Function to preset. Keep the Application as Lighting and assign them to the Lighting Group Address that corresponds with that particular Fan. Assuming the defaults are set in the Fan Controller, set your 4 buttons to use Preset Levels 0%, 34%, 67% and 100%.

To make the buttons exclusive, i.e. only the last-pressed one shows as "active" on the screen, go to the Status tab and change the Status Indication Control radio button selection to C-Bus Level and change the C-Bus Indicator Active Range radio button selection to use Preset Level.

I have mine configured as per the attachment. When devices other than the Touchscreen set the speed, the Touchscreen stays in sync. The current speed is displayed with a solid dot and the button below advances through the speeds. Touching one of the 4 speeds sets the fan immediately to that speed.

Attached Files:

Newman, Jan 23, 2012
  3. Kurt

Kurt

Thankyou for your help newman, i am now kind of halfway there.

After seeing your attachment - i decided i like the layout and would 'model' my setup on yours ;)

I have been able to setup something similar to your attachment and i am able to choose from off - through to high with individual buttons. For a while there all the butttons would display the same shade of active colour( dependant on level) and i thought i was doing something wrong, till i played around and turned the switch inactive bakground to none. Now only one button shows with colour at a time (This is the first ctc ive had to program and my first touch screen in a about 2 yrs.).

I have setup a status function (0-100%) to make sure the circle buttons are working as per your post - this is working well.

However I cannot for the life of me get a normal button cycling through the fan speed no matter what i do ( like the orange one at the bottom of your pic)
    Just to make sure im not missing something simple
    Ive attached below what ive done.

once i select preset and use the trigger, group and action selector groups the button just becomes a nice pic on the screen.
    Also in status ive tried auto and cbus level and neither seem to make a difference.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    Kurt, Jan 24, 2012
  4. Kurt

Newman

First thing to check is whether the touchscreen is transmitting the Action Selector message onto C-Bus when you press the button. To do this, connect to C-Bus using the Diagnostic Utility to monitor the network traffic. Then press the button on the touchscreen. If the message appears in the log, the touchscreen is working correctly.

If the touchscreen is programmed correctly then you'll need to check the programming of the Sweep Fan relay unit in Toolkit. For speed cycling from a single button to work, the unit needs to be configured as a "Master Unit" on the Configuration tab. This will allow you to set the Trigger Group and Action Selector in the Sweep Fan Relay unit.

It's also possible that there's something wacky going on with how the Touchscreen uses Action Selector 0. If the Diagnostic Utility test suggests that the Touchscreen is not transmitting the trigger, try changing the Sweep Fan Relay and Touchscreen over to an Action Selector other than Action Selector 0.

Newman, Jan 24, 2012
  5. Kurt

Kurt

Newman - the whole action selector using 0 was half of my issue.

Using the event log i was able to see that all buttons were trying to Transmit data to the network ( if thats the correct terminology) and was not getting anything back.

Using the parts i have at home ( dlt, 8 button neo, dimmer w/psu and fan controller) i setup a network, after a bit of swearing and annoyance managed to get a template of the current ctc setup to use with the new test network and started playing.

Mistake 1 - I wrongly assumed that just using piced and maybe the simulation mode would reflect what would happen in a real network - it send out Tx but as it does not get any rx nothing happens ( some one will probably tell me this is in teh manual/cbus course books ;) ) so there was no level change display

Mistake 2 - using both the trigger control group address 000 and the action selector 000 ( or just plain 0 ) or GA-0 and AS-1 = NOTHING will work.

I setup a group and purposely used both group addy as 1 and action selector as 1, and once connected to the network the main button will now cycle through the levels ( proved on the fan controller and dlt) and the level indicators/selectors work like you said they should.

All in all thankyou for your help!

Now to make another post about more than 1 fan group from a single dlt....:(

Kurt, Jan 24, 2012
  6. Kurt

Newman

The current level that has been set when using 1 button speed cycling mode comes back in a reply from the Sweep Fan Relay. If PICED is not connected and synced to the C-Bus network when you run simulation mode you obviously won't see the reply, and therefore things won't work the same as they do in the real world.

Action Selector 0 should work, however like you I've had instances in the past where things just haven't quite worked out the way I expected to when using it, so I just avoid it as a matter of practice. It also greatly reduces the risk of some mis-programmed unit on the network inadvertently triggering a scene.

Newman, Jan 24, 2012
Ask a Question