Suggestion for next version

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by nigeltodd, Sep 26, 2007.

1. nigeltodd

nigeltodd

COuld the logic editor have the cursor line & column number displayed at the bottom - it could make it much easier to debug?
    Also, the Control arrow keys move a word ata time, as most windows editors do?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2007
    nigeltodd, Sep 26, 2007
  2. nigeltodd

Darren Senior Member

The first idea has been added to our system as #12321. The second idea was already in our system as #7519.

Unfortunately, neither of these will be in the next version of the software.

Darren, Sep 28, 2007
  3. nigeltodd

Dave Byron

How about a Piced 3.99 version

How about a Piced 3.999 version that is the current version with the updated logic engine in it.
    This would allow me to start programming and testing the DLT logic – which requires a bit of coding and testing. The special functions on the buttons not needed for this so can wait for V4 for that.

dave

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
    Dave Byron, Sep 28, 2007
  4. nigeltodd

Valery R.

Touchscreen emulation on PC

Is there a way to allow Piced to make a runnable program based on the Touchscreen project?
    I mean I can create a project, test it on PC in simulation mode and then download it to unit. But if I want to let user control C-Bus from his PC, I will have to make another program, becouse I dont want him to edit the project(as if I let him control it from Piced). Anyway it'll be easyer for him if this program will be just the same as what he sees on his Touchscreen.

Valery R., Sep 29, 2007
  5. nigeltodd

Richo

But if he has a colour C-Touch he has the source already anyway, anyone can connect to the colour C-Touch using piced and grab the project.

Richo, Oct 1, 2007
  6. nigeltodd

Valery R.

If he has Piced - yes. But he does not need it. He just needs additional interface on his PC.
    I don't mean we need to block our client from editing it, I just wanted to say he can accidently move items, or change them. Becouse you can still edit project while in simulation mode.
    We just need something like Operation mode of HomeGate project. But in this case we'll have to install Homegate, and it's not the easyest way.
    In ideal it'd be great to receive Project.exe from Piced.

Valery R., Oct 1, 2007
  7. nigeltodd

Richo

I see. Good idea. I believe there are plans (probably not anytime soon) to make a homegate runtime (i.e. only runs projects, can't edit them) which would achieve what you want. But I pretty sure it's not on the near term feature list.

Richo, Oct 2, 2007
  8. nigeltodd

Darren Senior Member

What you are asking for is essentially a free equivalent to HomeGate. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen...

Darren, Oct 4, 2007
  9. nigeltodd

nigeltodd

Any update on ETA for the line/cursor status and for the Ctrl Arrow word moving in the PICED editor?

nigeltodd, Jan 8, 2008
  10. nigeltodd

nigeltodd

One more thing - I think that pascal has the ability to comment out the rest of a line after a double '/'. Make sit easy to comment out a single line while testing logic.

Any chance this could find it's way into the next release?

nigeltodd, Jan 8, 2008
  11. nigeltodd

ashleigh Moderator

Use of // to designate a comment is a c++ thing, not pascal.

Traditional pascal uses either braces {} or the sequence (* ... *)

dont hold your breath.

ashleigh, Jan 8, 2008
  12. nigeltodd

amberelectrics

The double slash thing is used in some if the RAD tools for object based Pascal, personally I never use it.

Only thing I can think of that would be useful would be autocomplete optionss. For example, in Delphi, as you type in a command it will come up with a list of options for that, you just select the one you want, parameter lists work in the same way showing the description and type, makes cross referencing parameters for functions and procedures a lot easier.

I'm guessing dot notation wont happen ;)

amberelectrics, Jan 8, 2008
  13. nigeltodd

filpee

It would be nice if the TAB button worked.

Everytime I try to TAB indent my code I lose the cursor to another windows object.

Also when I right click on a line of code, somewhere to the right in white space, the cursor does not jump to the end of the text as it would in most text editors.

filpee, Jan 8, 2008
  14. nigeltodd

Darren Senior Member

This is standard windows behaviour. What PICED and most other similar applications do to work around this is to allow the use of CTRL + Tab to insert a tab.

We will look at changing this (reference #13080)

We used to have it work this way, but it had the undesirable side-effect that as you scrolled down the lines, the cursor would gradually move left to the end of the shortest line. Unfortunately, sometimes (often) it is not possible to please everybody :(

There are no firm plans for when this will be done.

The // comment is, as Ashleigh says, a C++ concept, although some implementations of Pascal (such as Delphi) do support it.

This is in our system as #13082. I can't say when this will be done.

This would be a major undertaking to implement. For software like PICED where the logic engine is a relatively small part of the software, it would be hard to justify this sort of effort.

This falls in the same category as above...

Darren, Jan 14, 2008
  15. nigeltodd

ICS-GS

Another suggestion

It would be handy to have an additional "Address list ->" item in the right click menu to quickly select a GA (or) similar from the database when directly entering logic directly in the editor (without the wizard).

As currently you would have to go to something like "get c-bus level" to be able to get access to the tag database, then delete the preceeding command.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Ta
    Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 14, 2008
  16. nigeltodd

Darren Senior Member

Can you give an example of when this would be useful ?

Darren, Jan 15, 2008
  17. nigeltodd

filpee

It would be quicker for some of us to type "(GetLightingState("") = OFF)"
    Position the cursor between the "", right click, addresses, select required GA.

Although probably not that much quicker.

Another time it would come in handy is when using copy/paste.
    I could just highlight the GA text, right click, addresses, select required GA.
    (GetLightingState("my_GA_01") = OFF)

Those are just two I was able to come up with quickly. Maybe ICS-GS had something else in mind.

filpee, Jan 15, 2008
  18. nigeltodd

ICS-GS

filpee,

you're getting there!

Darren,

I tend to directly type most of my logic directly into the editor (your wizards are fantastic though!) as i have previous programming experience, it just seems quicker.

but when typing stuff out like this:

SetLightingLevel("V_Liv_Hall_All", HallDimLevel, "0s");

Where HallDimLevel is an integer that changes based on the time of day, something like:

if (Time >= "9:00:00 AM") and
    (Time <= "4:00:00 PM") then
    begin
    HallDimLevel := 0%;
    end;

if (Time >= "4:00:00 PM") and
    (Time <= "6:00:00 PM") then
    begin
    HallDimLevel := 70%;
    end;

if (Time >= "6:00:00 PM") and
    (Time <= "8:00:00 PM") then
    begin
    HallDimLevel := 60%;
    end;

if (Time >= "8:00:00 PM") and
    (Time <= "9:00:00 PM") then
    begin
    HallDimLevel := 50%;
    end;

I know that the wizard is not capable of completing the 1st instruction (above) as i would like it, hence i directly enter the code into the editor.

or if you would like more instances...

once (GetLightingState("Heat_ensuite+WC_btn") = ON) and

(GetLightingLevel("EnsuiteTempIn") > (GetLightingLevel "EnsuiteTempSet"))) then
    begin
    SetLightingState("Heat_ensuite_+_WC", ON);
    end;

again the wizard is not capable of the comparison instruction above, so i directly enter it into the editor.

So to be able to look the GA's up quickly from a list in the right mouse button menu would be a real time saver for thise who push the boundaries of the wizards capabilities.

I hope you see where i am comming from now.

Keep up the good work!

Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 23, 2008
  19. nigeltodd

ICS-GS

Verify function

Is there a possibility that a 'verify'function could be added?

So that if a custome has "adjusted" a few things, and dosen't want you to know that they have been fooling around with you hard work, and then rings up and say that the whole thing has gone "screwey" you can compare the two projects, to identify where changes had been made, and possibly only "refining" them rather than loading the last project file that worked back onto the system.

Sometimes educating people makes them less dangerous.

ICS-GS, Feb 3, 2008
  20. nigeltodd

amberelectrics

Sounds like that just needs embedded version control. You will know what the version info is on the file you have on record. If it differs from the on site you know they have been mucking about.

The other thing I would like, if possible, is access to the core functions beneath the main language. This would be so we could take the API as designed and create custom functions inherited from the supplied ones. Im not sure if the version of pascal engine you are using can imnplement this kind of object programming but it would be helpful.

amberelectrics, Feb 3, 2008
Ask a Question