Such a thing as a CBUS IR Gateway?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by BradJ, Feb 19, 2006.

1. BradJ

BradJ

I know there is a Wall plate IR receiver, and the Neo has an IR receiver, but my understanding is that this has limited support for IR codes (i.e. 4 channels).

What I'm looking for is like a reverse NIRT. A unit that can receive IR codes and map them to CBUS events. Then I could program it with individual IR codes and map them to CBUS events. This way I could control all my CBUS equipment with my IR remotes using my existing IR network. I would blast the IR from my IR network into this (fictional?) CBUS IR receiver.

If I were to use my Neo, how many IR codes could I map to CBUS events from a Neo? Does it have a limited number of applications and groups? I believe it simulates button presses, so does that mean that on an 8 button Neo I can simulate Long On, Short On, etc and trigger multiple CBUS events for each of the 8 buttons?

My immediate plan is to power on / off a couple of devices connected to a CBUS wireless network.

Thanks,
    Brad.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
    BradJ, Feb 19, 2006
  2. BradJ

Charlie Crackle

you could try a B/W touch screen IR. It only accepts NEC protocol though and you can have more than 8 group addresses.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Feb 19, 2006
  3. BradJ

Newman

A Neo unit can control up to 8 C-Bus Group Addresses on a single application. The IR Remote is mapped to the keys on the unit, so you can control up to 8 Groups from the C-Bus Remote control. The remote keys work in exactly the same manner as the physical keys on the unit.

Newman, Feb 20, 2006
  4. BradJ

Duncan

The Multisensor is also worthy of consideration.. same IR support as Neo but because its ceiling mounted its much more convenient in a room setting, rather than having to direct the remote control at a specific wall the remote can just be directed upwards.. less chance of something getting in the way..

Duncan, Feb 20, 2006
  5. BradJ

wanricky

C-Bus has 4 "banks" of Codes (Bank A B C D) and each have 4 channels of codes. i.e. you can have 16 different IR keys for each system.

However, to play around with all 16 IR channels, you need to be clear what you need:

With 2 NEO switches or 2 multisensors as IR Receivers, you still need to think about what is your transmitter. You need at least two C-Bus IR transmitters because there is no 16-key IR transmitter ever. Even if you have a universal remote, firstly you need to borrow the C-Bus remotes to learn from. Secondly not many universal remote can "learn" the C-Bus codes. Thirdly the long press may not work due to the timing between pulses of a long press.

For the functions, one IR channel can do whatever the NEO can do with one button: On/Off, preset level, scene, timer....so the same limit applies, number of GA + scene = 8 max. number of GAs in scene is limited by memory....etc.

In another way, to use non-C-Bus IR code to control C-Bus gear (e.g. A sony remote to control C_bus) it could be fun if it is possible. But it is certainly not a good practice because you have cross control. I have a heater which responds to my sony remote! So when I change the TV channel, the heater will unexpectedly turn on or off!! You must choose the codes you are not using now,and never use in the future. For example, I also want to try the NEC codes with C-Touch,because there is not much NEC electrical applicants in the AV market.

wanricky, Mar 1, 2006
  6. BradJ

Newman

Actually, the "surely it's released about now......." 5088TX IR remote can transmit all 4 banks of IR codes. It's an 8-button device that transmits on banks A & B. Open the rear cover and flick a switch and it now transmits on banks C & D.

NEC IR referrs to a protocol, not a brand of equipment. There are a variety of manufacturers of various products that use the NEC protocol for their IR gear. If you have an IR remote that can transmit NEC protocol IR codes then you can link that specific IR code to an action in C-Touch (both Colour and B&W). A universal IR Remote that can't transmit the NEC IR protocol is known by another name - a paperweight.

Newman, Mar 1, 2006
  7. BradJ

wanricky

GREAT!!!!!! now I just hope the product really released! (Doesn't seem to have from overseas dealer....)

Thanks for clarifying! I'll be careful in future. Anyway, even though universal remote can transmit NEC code, I really don't know where to "train" the universal remote to transmit the right code. I am too lazy to read those code manuels....

Hey! I found the piece of information on how to use NEC code on C-Touch in THIS web site!

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971

maybe I will try such a thing...IR gateway...

wanricky, Mar 3, 2006
Ask a Question