Strange Dimmer Behaviour

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Dak, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Dak

Dak

Hi All.

Has been a little while since I've posted (or should I say bugged) you guys on the forums.
    I have some issues with one of my 4 channel dimmers (L5504D2U????).

Will run through the setup first.

Have 4 separate feeds from the Mains / Meter box to 4 separate DIN enclosures.

This one particular DIN enclosure has 3 CBUS units in it. It has 2 x 4 Channel Dimmer Units and 1 x 12 Channel Relay Unit in it.

Last night I had one of the circuit breakers trip in the Mains / Meter box that supplies this particular enclosure.

I opened the door of the said enclosure and the circuit breaker on one of the dimmer units had tripped also.

I reset both circuit breakers (Meter box and in the Enclosure) - and one of the dimmer units and the relay unit in the enclosure came up as per normal (functioning fine). The other dimmer unit has both the "unit" LED and "cbus" LED lit - but they are lit at a lesser intensity than the other dimmer unit and relay in the enclosure. They are on - but are noticeably less bright.

The dimmer in question has all 4 channels wired.
    Channel 1 = Domus Halo LTH60 Electronic Transformer with 5 x 12V 10Watt Bulbs
    Channel 2 = 6 x 40 Watt Halogens (Outdoor) Lights - Possum Transformers
    Channel 3 = 4 x 40 Watt Halogens (Indoor) - Possum Transformers
    Channel 4 = 5 x 40 Watt Halogens (Indoor) - Possum Transformers

Now the weird stuff. If I press the Channel 1 Overide button on the Dimmer unit, the LED lights up, and only 1 of the 5 12V 10 Watt bulbs light up. The middle one infact - the two either side of the middle one do not light up. The one that does light up seems to flicker a little, but is controllable and dimmable.

If I try to press any of the other channel overide buttons on the dimmer the corresponding overide LED lights up but none of the other 40 Watt Halogen loads light up.

Anybody have any ideas? Have I a broken Dimmer unit, or does it sound like a supply issue (doesn't make sense to me as the other Dimmer and Relay unit in the enclosure are fine).

Sorry its such a long post - but I always like to give you guys as much info as I possibly can.

Regards Dak.

Dak, Sep 6, 2011
  2. Dak

NickD Moderator

Definitely sounds strange.

Given one of you string of 10W lamps still works and still dims, this seems to indicate the dimmer is still working, and that the lamps have failed. Are the electronic transformers connected via surface sockets or hard wired? If there are sockets then if you can access the wiring you could plug a normal desk lamp in to test the dimmer, and you could also run an extension cord to plug the transformer in to test it and the lamps.

As for the dim C-Bus and Unit LEDs... are you comparing them to another universal dimmer or is the other dimmer an older leading edge type? It's possible the LEDs in the universal dimmer are just slightly dimmer.

Does the dimmer in question have an internal C-Bus power supply or not?

Nick

NickD, Sep 7, 2011
  3. Dak

Dak

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will check the transformer so I can eliminate the lamps. (they dont visually look blown, but understand they may be). This would sort out the circuit on that channel - but I dont understand why the other 3 channels are not turning the halogens on even when the overide button being pressed and the overide LED is lit. (incidently the overide button LED's are being lit at full brightness or what I would call normal brightness - if that helps at all)

And yes, the dim "unit" and "cbus" LED's are being compared to an identical Dimmer unit in the enclosure, and to the relay in the same enclosure.

Thanks again.

Dak, Sep 7, 2011
  4. Dak

NickD Moderator

I figured it's possible that whatever it was that may have damaged the transformer on channel 1 could also have damaged the transformers on the other channels. The dimmer channel indicator will light if it thinks it's turned the channel on, it doesn't know if you've got a fried transformer attached :)

OTOH... it's also possible the dimmer channel has been damaged. If it is a universal dimmer (you said you thought it was an L5504D2U), then if the channel were completely dead, the controller should be detecting this and flashing the channel indicators green (incidentally.. what colour are they coming on?).

Nick

NickD, Sep 7, 2011
  5. Dak

Dak

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry I got the type of dimmer wrong. The dimmer units I have installed are L5504D2A - very sorry about the misinformation.

The channel overide button / LED's when pressed are green.

Haven't done any other testing as per your posts - but will get a chance to do some tomorrow during the day, and then post results.

Much appreciated.

Dak, Sep 7, 2011
Ask a Question