Strange behaviour

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnw, Aug 19, 2007.

1. johnw

johnw

Just before the June long weekend (in Sydney) I completed settlement on a new unit and moved in during the following week. Before settlement all the blinds, windows & lights worked perfectly - but after moving in we had a few storms and things are now not quite right:
    The 4ch relay controlling the bedroom blinds has no power to it, consequently the bedroom blinds do not up/down
    One of the two skylight blinds opens/closes and the other does not
    The two sets of skylight windows do not up/down
    Some of the buttons on some of the Neo switches do not work

Today, while watching TV during the rain:
    The working skylight blind went down/up without input from me
    All the balcony lights came on and no button on any switch will turn them off
    The extractor fans in both bathrooms came on and no switch will turned them off

As I do not believe in ghosts I read heaps of posts in this forum to see if anyone else has had similar issues, but no. However, I decided to try switching off (waiting about 10seconds) then switching on each of the circuit breakers controlling the dimmers and relays ... the lights and fans are still on :((

Ever since I first moved in I have tried contacting the installer by email and phone to rectify the existing issues and look at expanding the system, but all I have had is promises. I even put myself on the Basic C-Bus course to up my knowledge level but today's issues have me stumped.

I suspect I need an electrician to look at the dead relay and install the PCI from the training course - is there anyone out there in the Drummoyne area? Meanwhile any help in turning off the lights and fans would be appreciated...

Cheers
    John

johnw, Aug 19, 2007
  2. johnw

ashleigh Moderator

You need an approved installer or a competent electrician, and quickly!

Once you have the basic electrical side of things sorted out you can fiddle to your hearts content using Toolkit.

If you can't get help quickly I suggest you call technical support and see if they can recommend somebody good to come out and help you.

ashleigh, Aug 20, 2007
  3. johnw

ADL

Adl

Albert Lazaro

0428 112 112

we should be able to sort you out

ADL, Aug 20, 2007
  4. johnw

JohnC

Use the override buttons on the front face of the C-Bus units. They look like little oval shaped lights - if glowing they are "on", press them to toggle off and on again.

While you are at it, note down which button controls which light, etc

JohnC, Aug 20, 2007
  5. johnw

Darpa

Just a thought...

Mayve the Remote override pair has been shorted somewhere in the network?

Darpa, Aug 21, 2007
  6. johnw

johnw

Ashleigh:
    Thanks for your thoughts - I contacted Technical Support as the installer hasn't been very helpful lately. The installer then phoned me stating that he would try to get someone around next week....

ADL:
    Thanks but after talking with Tech Support I will once again try to resolve issues with the installer first.

JohnC & Darpa:
    The override buttons on two of the relays are off - permanently. I suspect that the relays are dead (and am very curious to know what caused them to die).

I turned off the circuit breaker to the relay controlling the balcony lights and exhaust fans, and the lights and fans went off. However, when I switched the breaker on again the lights and fans also switched on - even though the relay appears dead. The breaker will stay off till this mess is sorted - or the bathroom exhaust fans *need* to be turned on :)

Thanks all for your interest and support. I can live with things the way they are. but I sure am motivated to learn how to fix them myself! I will post again when I have some answers.

johnw, Aug 21, 2007
  7. johnw

Darpa

Hey JohnW,
    I was referring to a particular pair (the green pair, the "Remote On" pair), inside the C-Bus cable which, when shorted out, will force all units on the network to turn on. Was thinking that if, during theb recent storm, water got into somewhere it shouldn't have and shorted out this pair of wires, it would cause all of the units in your network to stay on.

Darpa, Aug 22, 2007
  8. johnw

PSC

As Darpa was alluding to, remove the pink C-Bus cat5 cables and try manually toggling each channel of the relay.

If this works your relay is OK and it has something to do with the Bus cable.

PSC, Aug 22, 2007
  9. johnw

NickD Moderator

Yes, however as these cables are inside the switchboard, this is not something he should try himself (unless he's a sparky, which I don't think is the case).

If the remote overrides are the culprits though he should be able to tell by looking the the Unit LED, which will be flashing.

Nick

NickD, Aug 23, 2007
  10. johnw

PSC

Take a chance, you only live once :p

PSC, Aug 23, 2007
Ask a Question