Stopping toolkit starting CGate service

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by countach, Sep 20, 2013.

1. countach

countach

As far as I see, even if I set the CGate windows service to be manual start, the toolkit will try and start it up, whether I like it or not.

I don't want this to happen, because.. at least most of the time, I want to use CGate on a remote computer, not the local computer. I don't see any option in the preferences to stop this happening.

Am I missing something?

countach, Sep 20, 2013
  2. countach

zei20t

set the service to 'disabled' then it will not start. but youll need to change it to manual/automatic to start it when you need it started.

zei20t, Sep 22, 2013
  3. countach

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi countach,

A service with a startup type of "Manual" will not be started on PC bootup but can still be started by applications as needed.

You are on the right track; leave the service as "Manual" and stopped. Once you have created a Remote C-Gate Site and connected to it, each subsequent Toolkit start will connect to that Remote C-Gate first and will not (should not!) start the local service.

You can set the service to "Disabled", but you may find that the C-Gate console appears instead and that might seem a more inconsistent experience.

I sympathise with your scenario but we always have to err on the side of ensuring that users are not left stranded at a blank screen without a running C-Gate.

I have lodged a ticket to see if we can streamline the experience for remote C-Gate users: TK-9741

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
    daniel, Sep 23, 2013
  4. countach

countach

Thanks

Thanks for that, at least I understand now what is supposed to happen.

The problem I see currently is that this could I think cause you to unexpectedly have 2 cgates running trying to talk to the same CNI, and I don't know what would happen then, but I suspect it wouldn't be good.

Maybe it would be good to pop up an OK/Cancel dialog before starting the service for you, if its possible.

countach, Sep 24, 2013
Ask a Question