StarServer and Quad Channel Video Modulator Issue

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by BillieGee, Oct 27, 2010.

1. BillieGee

BillieGee

I have a setup of a 1 x StarServer (8053/8VHPIR) with 2 x inputs (A and B) and 8 x ouputs, Input A is from the Quad Channel Video Modulator (8054VMPIR) and input B from Dual Channel Video Modulaor (8052VMPIR).

Issue is that the all 8 ouput channels from StarServer received from the 6 Channels for both VMPIR are not clear (sharpness is slightly snowy). The 8 ouputs channels received from the anntena connected to the StarServer are clear and sharp.

I have checked that the VMPIR are at least channel apart either side from any free-air UHF channels and that all 8 channels are 2 UHF channels apart. I have also reduce the Gain on the StarServer down to zero, this improved things slightly. I also have the impedence dip switchs set to 75ohms on both the VMPIR and the StarServer FM trap on.

The 8054 VMPIR has a DVD Player, Foxtel Box, Bose Lifestyle System and Digital Settop Box, the 8052 VMPIR has two CCTV Cameras via a Digital to Analog converter.

Your assitance would be much appreciated.

BillieGee, Oct 27, 2010
  2. BillieGee

Nik

Starserve can be a funny beast..

Ensure all modulated channels are ATLEAST 2 channels from each other and any other UHF transmissions coming in..

On some modulators you can adjust their gain which can sometimes help, other wise adjusting the vdu gain in very slight steps can assist with getting a more satisfactory image..

One thing to keep in mind is that your modulated channels are in effect an analogue tv station which has a fairly low resolution.. And your free to air stations you are currently recieving are most likely digital and are more likely to have a much higher resolution..

Cheers,
    Nik

Nik, Oct 27, 2010
  3. BillieGee

tobex

tobex, Oct 27, 2010
  4. BillieGee

Nik

The links in your thread don't work, and i fail to see how linking to your thread which you claim 'I am just making a product sharing. No financial gain from this.' remotely help BillieGee..

Cheers,
    Nik

Nik, Oct 27, 2010
  5. BillieGee

tobex

Digital modulator I suppose.

tobex, Oct 27, 2010
  6. BillieGee

BillieGee

Nik,

Forgot to mention in my original thread, that the picture quality was satisfactory, prior to one of VDM the power supply unit failing. I replaced faulty power supply unit, and this is when the picture quality degraded. I thought at first that VDM was faulty, so I changed a couple of input from the faulty one to my second VDM, but there was no improvement and picture quality was the same.

I had also done what you mentioned in your thread about the VDM gain and VDU gain, the VDU gain made a slight improvement.

Its anoying that I can't get the quality back to what it was, which was acceptable, as I use it to distrubute all video signals from my video equipment stored in central place to tv's through out my house.

I am thinking of going to a digital modulator, but they are very expensive.

BillieGee, Nov 26, 2010
Ask a Question