Stability of connection I-Phone and Wiser

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by stofilyuk, Aug 16, 2012.

1. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Dear Colleagues!

Please advise in one strange problem :confused:.
    Explanation of situation.
    I have installed application program WISER on the I-Phone and I-Pad (last revision), please see attached file #1. When I trying to connect to WISER (from application) then I have indication that Requesting project information?. (please see attached file #2) and closing of application. I am trying again and the same indication (for ~second). Still trying, trying, trying and no opened WISER application. In some case I have successful connection and can control and monitoring from application. After closing of application and opening again still have problems.

What can be reason of not stability connection between application of I-Phone (or I-Pad) with WISER? At the same time I have stability connection from all computers in my local network via WIFI (LAN) to WISER.

Thanks to ALL for advise:)

Attached Files:

stofilyuk, Aug 16, 2012
  2. stofilyuk

bmerrick

Hi Stofilyuk,

I get exactly the same problem as you, but only when I get into an area of sub-par WIFI connectivity - about 25 metres from my AP with lots of masonry walls etc in the way. I see you have 2 bars of WIFI on your phone.

As soon as that WIFI indicator on my iPhone (mine is a 4S) goes down from three to two bars, initial Wiser connectivity becomes more difficult, though if I am already connected it just seems to slow down like it is retrying until it gets that light switched on etc. As soon as you walk back into decent range the problem subsides and it connects almost immediately. I am not sure what actual signal strength 2 bars on an iPhone indicates(?), but that is when initial connect problems start for me.

I am surrounded on all sides by other WIFI networks (like many people these days) and so interference probably also plays a part with other peoples WIFI 'Booming in', when the signal to my AP gets low. I don't use the Wiser as my home Access Point (have it's radio disabled and antennas off to remove its WIFI radios emissions) and so the latency in the connection via the third device may also be playing havoc with the initial handshaking.

Use the software inSSIDer on your PC (also Mac or Android) to tell you if you have lots of high level WIFI signals around your house that may be interfering with your connection.

Hope this helps,

Brad

bmerrick, Aug 17, 2012
  3. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hi Brad,
    Thanks for replay, but i think reason is not the low signal. Because for some time connection is successful. I know that the settings of Wiser and application are very simple. But connection is non stable. May be You have more ideas?
    By the way the advised program (inSSIDer) is very good! Thanks! :)

stofilyuk, Aug 17, 2012
  4. stofilyuk

bmerrick

Hi Stofilyuk,

Will be hard to diagnose further without a bit more information.

A few questions:

1. Is the Wiser being your WIFI Access Point or are you using another device? If it's another device, can you describe how they are linked (addressing on ports etc) and also, did you disable your Wiser's WIFI radio?

2. Is the Wiser set up as: (as per install manual)
    Option A - Inline Router Config
    Option B - A LAN Device or
    Option C - Outside Router Modem direct Internet connected.

3. What version of PICED are you running/configured the Wiser with?

4. Does your iPhone always show only 2 signal strength even when close to your Access Point? How about your iPad? If it has 3 on the meter, how far away before it drops back to 2?

Take a look at http:/www.noushouse.com.au/TechDocs/Cisco/prod_white_paper0900aecd807395a9.pdf for an awesome white paper from Cisco about WIFI interference and its possible sources / symptoms.

5. If there is somewhere in your house with signal strength 3 on your iDevices, does it always work reliably there?

6. When you say 'Closing of Application' do you mean the normal 'Can not Connect' retry message or does it just close/shut down?

Sorry for the bunch of questions, but I haven't personally seen this symptom except in poor WIFI signal coverage, or when coming into Wiser remotely over the Internet and connection slows/is slow etc.

Someone else here may have seen it and would also like to chip in?

Regards,

Brad

bmerrick, Aug 18, 2012
  5. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hello Brad,

Let's tray together to catch and fix it.
    So i will tray to answer as more as possible detailed.
    1. I have in my home network (Toff) as main router is WND4500. Please see simple structure scheme in file #2. Information about level of signal You can find in attached file #1. WIFI access point on the Wiser is disabled. The Wiser has reserved static addresses (192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2). I can easy connect from any computer (more than 5pcs) via WNDR4500 (WIFI) to Wiser with Toff. The connections always are stability.
    2. I am using the scheme with option B. But in this case the WIFI in Wiser is disabled and WIFI in router is enabled.
    3. I am using last revision of PICED (4.11). Wiser was updated after installed new version of PICED. Before updating was the same situation.
    4. In I-Phone and I-Pad always different signals (1-4 signal strengths). I think the connection should be stable with 1 (as minimum) str. on tne I devices. For example i can connect to devise using SAFARI (checking of connection with network).
    5. I am connecting from PC (Sony) with 2-3 str. with WIFI (Toff). So, no problem.
    6. The application is not opening when start running. :(As like is connection OK ----(next)--- Requesting project information....---(next)--- automatically close application:confused: But, some time (very seldom) to continue ----getting started 12/25 and opening application. Why is non always this successful:eek:?

May be necessary more information? I am trying to make a little movie for really show this situation.

Best regards,
    Sergey.

Attached Files:

stofilyuk, Aug 19, 2012
  6. stofilyuk

bmerrick

Hi Sergey,

Just a few quick ones of the cuff, Sorry but you have probably already looked at many of these. Thanks for the diagram, looks standard. What is the port addressing? and it is assumed Cisco is plugged in Wiser LAN port ie not WAN port.

Also can you please go to http://192.168.2.1/clipsal/main.htm (if 2.1 is still the Wiser's IP address) and look at the firmware version and report.

You have said that it is not even getting to the white 'Wiser contact fail - Unreachable' screen, so the iPhone app is actually crashing, rather than just not connecting. Is that right?

1. Are you running any C-Bus thermostats and have widgets for these?
    see http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8377&highlight=wiser+thermostat
    and
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7114&highlight=iphone+crash

2. Are you running any non-lighting (unusual) applications on your C-Bus network?

3. Assume you have powered down and back up your phone? Some other people (scurrilous rumours) have suggested that a certain company's current OS can sometimes get 'confused', (to me seems particularly if you go back and forth between Airplay and Bluetooth a lot in addition to WIFI). Of course, I don't believe rumours like that :)

see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3955927?start=30&tstart=0

4. Are you a heavy user of your internet connection? When my Netgear has been very busy, like after streaming HD video whilst also doing a few big downloads etc from Cable network, it can 'forget' about WIFI bridging, Airplay forwarding, and authentication on WPA becomes hit and miss with 'can not connects' to my WIFI network (assume you have WIFI bridging to local LAN ticked) and this actually requires a power cycle of Netgear to resolve. (though I note I am running a down-level of firmware on Netgear as a SIP incompatibility bug needs it currently)

Try restarting your phone, rebooting your router and Wiser. Does it work the first time then stop working again?

Also, your InSSIDer graphic shows network '351' booming in at 21dB above your WAP's level (which I assume you are closest to?) and using your same channel, and though these should 'Share' to a degree, perhaps you could find another channel to share with a lower outputting neighbour?

Will keep thinking.

Brad

bmerrick, Aug 20, 2012
  7. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hello Brad,

I have DHCP in the router WNDR4500. The Cisco switch just transit only. In my network about 15 devices (all addressable by DHCP).
    The information from Wiser You can see bellow.
    For better understanding situation I can send to You movie (but size of file about 15mb). Can You give a e-mail?
    I have lighting, meters, sensors, thermostats with logic in my C-bus network. If You want i can send to You program file for review.
    Thanks for advise. Of course i will change the channels in router.
    Some time after rebooting i can connect one times and after exit i can't to access again.

So my opinion that if i can easy to access from computer (with WIFI) than should be easy connect from any portable device with WIFI (as like I-Phone or I-Pad). By the way i can connect (without problem) from Samsung phone via browser (using Android OS). But that interface on the portable device not flexible and comfortable:). So if i can connect from Samsung why i can't connect from I-devices with Wiser application:( Strange:(

Thank You Brad for support.

Best regards,
    Sergey.

Attached Files:

stofilyuk, Aug 21, 2012
  8. stofilyuk

Roosta

Hello,

Is 'Enable Projector Control' ticked in your piced project?

Where is the lan cable from the cisco connecting to the wiser?

Is enable access to wiser from LAN ports enabled in piced project?

Have you put your correct STATIC IP AND DNS settings in both the piced project and the wiser router setup page section?

Have you put your i-phone/i-pad settings into the app via the settings menu or just by the main wiser gui? I have had occasional errors doing it in the main gui but fixed when doing via settings area..

Cheers,
    Nik

Roosta, Aug 21, 2012
  9. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hi ALL,

I made one test operation. The router and switch are disabled (power OFF). Just Wiser is active only. The WIFI set without security access (opened network). In this combination i can connect from computer (as usually) and can't connect with Wiser application (the same problem). So I think we should finding reason of problem in Wiser application or Wiser settings. What You think, colleagues:)?

Best regards,
    Sergey.

stofilyuk, Aug 21, 2012
  10. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hello Nik,

Please see follow setting in Piced project.
    The LAN cable connected from CISCO (LAN port) to Wiser (LAN port). I think that's right, because I have normal connection from any device (in my LAN) to Wiser (with deactivation WIFI). And I can the same normal connection with WIFI (deactivated LAN card in device).

Best regards,
    Sergey.

Attached Files:

stofilyuk, Aug 21, 2012
  11. stofilyuk

bmerrick

Hi Sergey,

Tried to send you my email address last night so you could send the video, but you have personal messages disabled.

You said before you had access from the LAN side of Wiser using PC and Android phone, but iPhone/iPad only intermittently. Is that right?

Also the picture you just sent shows 'Access Wiser from LAN ports' as disabled. This should be ENABLED for an option B setup, as Wiser is a LAN device on your network.

Try switching this option ON and give it a go as before.

Also, enable personal messages on your forum if you want to receive a PM.

Regards,

Brad

bmerrick, Aug 22, 2012
  12. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

stofilyuk, Aug 26, 2012
  13. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hi ALL,

I have good news! The problem is solved. A little description of my actions.
    I made NEW project in PICED (new revision) and replicate (manually) old project. All widgets, all logics, all.... and i can connect now via local WIFI network. But via Wiser WIFI a little bit quickly. So, i think the reason can be when a was updated project in new revision of PICED.
    Thanks ALL for help and ideas!!!

Best regards,
    Sergey.

stofilyuk, Aug 27, 2012
  14. stofilyuk

bmerrick

Hi Sergey,

Good news. Seems you possibly may have had a corruption in your upgraded PICED project. Did you change any other parameters from your original setup? ;)

So is iPhone working 100% now?

Poka,

Brad

bmerrick, Aug 28, 2012
  15. stofilyuk

stofilyuk

Hi Brad!

I did the same settings and parameters, usually by default (I compared). Yes, both of I devices connected:)
    Well i have continue to find next surprises:D.

Thanks for support and helping!

Best regards,
    Sergey.

stofilyuk, Aug 28, 2012
  16. stofilyuk

bmerrick

Hi Sergey,

Sounds all good.

All the best, Do svidaniya

Brad

bmerrick, Aug 30, 2012
Ask a Question